To split or not to split?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut down a poplar today that was in the back yard and was a bit too close to the house for comfort and stacked the rounds.About 1/3 of a cord.I have 2 more to come down in the next week or so.My question is should I split it or leave it in rounds for the winter and then split it in the spring?

I always split any new wood as soon as I can because then it is done and it begins seasoning immediately. I do not like to leave anything sitting around.

I'd want to split it as soon as I could as well, BUT........having said that........considering the time of year, unless you can do your splitting indoors.....if you have any major snowstorms coming, you might want to hold off a tad!

-Soupy1957

I prefer splitting in the winter. Good reason to get outside. Just do it somewhere away from the path of the snowblower.

soupy1957 said:
I'd want to split it as soon as I could as well, BUT........having said that........considering the time of year, unless you can do your splitting indoors.....if you have any major snowstorms coming, you might want to hold off a tad!

-Soupy1957
Right now I'm looking out the window to a sunny day, green grass, and 6 degrees celcious.In the next week there's only 2-4 cm forcast.I don't think I'll have to worry about a storm for a little bit yet. lol

John, it sounds lit you are a bit warmer than most of us here. As for splitting, when I split by hand I did it during the fall and winter months. Using the hydraulics, I split all of it in early spring.

I like to split wood as I drop the trees. Right now temps in Ohio are around 15-20* and I love splitting wood in that weather and than come into a warm house.

I always split ASAP.

I prefer splitting in winter, sweat too much in the summer heat doing it.

I split as soon as possible. As the old adage says, by splitting wood in cold weather you are twice warmed: (1) when you split the wood and (2) later, when you burn it.

Split it now, I split as soon, or as soon as I can, after its cut to stove length.

Always do all my cutting and splitting in the winter. It just doesn't interest me in the summer. Cutting is first priority....then I split but I never let it go until the next year. It doesn't season well in the round.

I'd split it right now. Cold weather shouldn't stop you from splitting. A ton of deep snow might stop me, but not cold.

I split as I cut...

I was going to wait till spring to split a ton of Red Oak, but after reading all the posts saying it takes 3 years to season I decided to get it done. Poplar is another story, if it's split in the spring it should be ready by next winter. Why not just chew away at it a little at a time this winter? No need to do it all at once.

If given the choice I would always vote to split earlier than later . . . but sometimes time or other situations do not allow one to do so . . . which is why I have several stacks of wood in the woods in round form since my ATV was being repaired a few weeks back when I was cutting the wood . . . I'm planning on splitting this wood in the Spring . . . then again this is also wood that I plan to use in another three years so I'm not too worried about it not being seasoned by the time I need to use it in the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.