To Split or to Stack.??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler

Nov 17, 2013
Southwest, Ohio
Ok the senario is:

You have access to 7 acres of woods that has just been logged. It is mainly red oak, pinn oak, white oak, and a few maples. What is left is the stump cutoffs, tops, and part of the logs that were to short to sell. (8ft or less). Diameters range from 8"-30"

Would it be more efficient to spend the time to cut and split the wood as I cut it. Or would I be better off to spend the time cutting the tops into 8ft lengths and taking the rest of the logs and stacking them next to were I'm going to stack the firewood in the lean-to. Which is 1/4 Mile away from the logged area.

What kind of transportation are you going to use?

I have a 4WD backhoe and also a 1 ton flatbed 4wd Truck. Would like to just use the backhoe bucket. It's a Deere 310SE

I like doing my processing in one area. I skid all the logs out before I cut them up. I also have accessed to a tractor that makes skidding logs easier.

Reactions: Tyler
I would think it if you have the ability to move them in bulk, it would be easier to do that. Depends on whether you want a mess in your yard or not.

Agreed. Bucking logs in one place (your work area at home, for example) then splitting and stacking would be faster and probably more efficient than bucking and splitting in the woods.

I would think it if you have the ability to move them in bulk, it would be easier to do that. Depends on whether you want a mess in your yard or not.

Yeah that's what I'm trying to decide. Where I would be cutting and splitting is a large concrete pad. So the mess could be cleaned up and no worries of wet weather causing mud

I like doing my processing in one area. I skid all the logs out before I cut them up. I also have accessed to a tractor that makes skidding logs easier.

Do you skid them behind tractor or do you have a loader on the tractor. I have 3 tractors as well. 1 has a loader and is 100hp JD 6430. With the location I'm at I wouldn't have the ability to drag the logs to the concrete landing just due to a driveway that I wouldn't want to mess up.

Agreed. Bucking logs in one place (your work area at home, for example) then splitting and stacking would be faster and probably more efficient than bucking and splitting in the woods.

Fred, that is kinda what I'm thinking that way if I have a large stack of logs I can work on them in the evening after work , weekends etc splitting and stacking without having to go back out in the woods.

Do you skid them behind tractor or do you have a loader on the tractor. I have 3 tractors as well. 1 has a loader and is 100hp JD 6430. With the location I'm at I wouldn't have the ability to drag the logs to the concrete landing just due to a driveway that I wouldn't want to mess up.
I have a kubota bx25. Small little tractor. I just use a10' chain and skidding tongs. I welded a hook on the bucket. I lift them up and drag them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.