To stir or not to stir, burning wood pellets in multi fuel stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenG

Oct 14, 2009
NH Seacost
So, I have the corn stove from Englander and last year I tried burning the Pennington's pellets w/o the stirrer like the manual suggests. Burn pot filled up, flame died down, not getting a lot of heat out of the stove. I put the stirrer back in and I was back in business. This year I am now burning Corrinth, which seems to be a much better pellet, I am wondering if there is any benefit from trying to run the stove w/o the stirrer in. Just wondering if there are any other multifuel stove owners that have some experience in this.

I thought running without the stirrer was only suggested for cherry pits.

sculptor said:
I thought running without the stirrer was only suggested for cherry pits.
Right you are Sculptor, in reference to our stove, but I'm not sure his is rated for cherry pits.

BenG, if it worked poorly without the stirrer, and worked well WITH the stirrer, what in the world would make you want to take it out again????

"if ain't broke, don't fix it" as my father used to say.

Thats a good point, I just wasnt sure if you were supposed to get better heat output or something w/o using the stirrer. My stove is heating the house just fine with the stirrer going so I will just keep on stirring.

BenG said:
....I just wasnt sure if you were supposed to get better heat output or something w/o using the stirrer......

The stirrer should have little, if any, effect on heat output, IMO. Glad it works well w/ the stirrer.

Status
Not open for further replies.