To tarp or not to tarp an 8 ’ length pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsley207

Nov 5, 2008
South Windham, Maine
I've just taken delivery of 4 cord red oak in 8 foot lengths. It's in a large pile and I won't get to processing it until the spring. My question is do I cover this pile with a large tarp or do I just let it winter over uncovered? Thanks.

It won't really make a difference if it's in log lengths during the winter, except that if you get a hankering to cut some up, it would be nice to not have snow on it now.

I would definitely not go buy tarps for it.

And get it off the ground if possible. If off of the ground and you don't plan on working it up till spring, forget the tarps. You will just be chasing them around the yard after the first big winter blow.

no way, this ole' boy would NOT be tarpin' that pile.

unless, as mentioned, I wanted to get at it to do some sawin'.

otherwise, ain't no rain or snow gonna hurt it.

Why wait for Spring? Do it now!

ansehnlich1 said:
no way, this ole' boy would NOT be tarpin' that pile.

unless, as mentioned, I wanted to get at it to do some sawin'.

otherwise, ain't no rain or snow gonna hurt it.
Same here

I don't believe I would bother tarping it,but I would also have a hard time resisting till spring also.

Jeff S said:
I don't believe I would bother tarping it,but I would also have a hard time resisting till spring also.

Oh yeah! I get what your sayin'

I'd be out there even if it were just a wee bit of daylight left in the evening, yellin' to the wife... "just cuttin' one more round honey, be in in a minute"!

I have the same question - does wood dry better covered with a tarp or exposed to the weather?

This is wood that was cut and split this past summer to be burned next winter.

Thanks.

8 foot logs in the round with bark on it are not going to dry, tarped or not. Save the tarp for the splits.

If you need it to dry, cut it to length, and get it off the ground. Splitting is less critical. Tarping won't make a big difference if in log length, top covering might help if stove length, but not a lot. Get it processed quickly come spring if it isn't off the ground, or you will start to get rot in the bottom logs.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.