To those struggling with (or in the middle of) installing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrobertson

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2007
West Michigan
14 inches of snow on the ground - forecast of a winter storm warning for this afternoon - high winds and more snow with lots of drifting. House is 75 degrees and 2000 gallons of 185 degree water ready to wait the storm out. Setting a boiler up is allot of work and time - but when you are done its worth every cent and hour spent when your warm and have a hot cup of coffee in the morning reading everything your internet friends have said overnight.

sdrobertson said:
14 inches of snow on the ground - forecast of a winter storm warning for this afternoon - high winds and more snow with losts of drifting. House is 75 degrees and 2000 gallons of 185 degree water ready to wait the storm out. Setting a boiler up is allot of work and time - but when you are done its worth every cent and hour spent when your warm and have a hot cup of coffee in the morning reading everything your internet friends have said overnight.
Your getting the lake effect Glad i dont have to worry about that,but the cold is here and the winds are strong!with light snow

sdrobertson said:
14 inches of snow on the ground - forecast of a winter storm warning for this afternoon - high winds and more snow with losts of drifting. House is 75 degrees and 2000 gallons of 185 degree water ready to wait the storm out. Setting a boiler up is allot of work and time - but when you are done its worth every cent and hour spent when your warm and have a hot cup of coffee in the morning reading everything your internet friends have said overnight.
Well said. There's something deeply satisfying about providing warmth and security through the work of your own hands. Congratulations and enjoy! (Typed with cup of warm coffee and a full storage tank).

So true! snowed last night, -6F tonight, and more snow tomorrow. Ahhhhh ....

Thanks- keep the encouragement coming. I have a block of time end of afternoon into tonight, and then another one same time tomorrow, to dive back into forward progress! I've been stymied by too much else going on in other areas of life, and it's hard to make progress in 20 minute blocks...

Just finished my chimney today and finalized the EKO's postion in the shed. I used 12' of 8 " Selkirk and 6' of 8" black pipe. Next week the pex should arrive. I hope to have the 111' run from my shed to the house in place in one day. Then I will hopefully be sitting with you guys drinking coffee with the satisfation of my home heated from my own wood supply!

I'll echo all of that leaddog. It's a mess up here too. Since the second day of firearms deer season, I think it has snowed all but 3 or 4 days. It looks like mid January up here. Every 15 minutes or so right now we get a batch of lake effect and wind that just about obliterates the street light glow at the end of my driveway. Crazy! Global warming anyone??

The part about enjoying the fruit of your labor rings very true also. I'll just add that at this time of year I see lot's of people get in a hurry to get things done before winter really sets in. Easily understood. I'll just say that even though it doesn't seem so at the time, it's always a lot better to have patience and do it right the first time. If you take a shortcut it will darn near always come back to haunt you at one point or another.

To all of you who have taken the plunge and have your wood burner hooked up and running great, sit back and enjoy. To those of you still in the throes of piping, wiring, trenching, etc., hang in there. It'll get done and when it's all hooked up right you can sit back and enjoy it rather than fight the (()(#%^)#/><!!!<>< wood burner all winter :)

Status
Not open for further replies.