To use Heat shields or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chas0218

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2015
Beaver Dams New York
Most stoves list additional heat shields for their stoves mostly to help with clearances to combustibles. I was wondering if the heat shields will help add more heat to the room? I have a unique situation where I get to basically put the stove wherever I want within given clearances, so the shields won't make much of a difference. I am a little concerned with the amount of heat my stove will give off and efficiently heat my home. My thought was that the shields will act as an added heat sink and radiate more heat.

Is there anyone running heat shields and had a noticeable difference in heat output?

The heat shields will reduce the radiant heat transfer to the room but should increase the convective heat transfer so more hot air and less basking in the sun. The overall output/efficiency should be the same. Given the choice, I would leave them off. They're usually ugly as sin.

Reactions: Elciteeve
If a shield will stop heat from radiating into an exterior wall (even though clearances may have been more than met) - it may be of benefit. Otherwise, not likely.

Quick 2 cents....

Is this still the NC30 you're talking about? If so, the side shields are only partial.

shields 3.jpg

It's weird too because the back half is no cooler than the front half on this non-cat. In fact, I would guess the front half of those sides is hotter!

It's weird too because the back half is no cooler than the front half on this non-cat. In fact, I would guess the front half of those sides is hotter!

Could be that the back half is *usually* the closest to walls.

Reactions: Highbeam
With the side shields does the hot air from the blower come out the top? I know on my vogelzang it comes outs all around the rear heat shield.

It is a bit odd I was thinking that the shield covers the entire side of the stove. I mean if you really jam it into the corner I get you would want the side shields but figured they would be the whole length of the side. Maybe it blocks too much heat on the sides and hinders the about of BTU the stove outputs. Most likely one of those less material less cost things. I'm guessing they are only used when putting the stove in a corner with close clearances.

Blower air only comes out of the top of the rear shield.

Reactions: Highbeam