Toasty in my workshop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fossil

Accidental Moderator
Sep 30, 2007
Bend, OR
It's a pathetic excuse for a "summer" day here in Central Oregon...cold and rainy. But I'm toasty in my workshop. Rick

Attachments

• shopstove.jpg
    shopstove.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,145
Pook said:
...seems u could turn the air primary down?

A little deceiving, because of the lighting and no flash, the exposure was a bit long...makes the fire look more "roaring" than it really was. But, then, I did take it with a good burning fire just before throttling it back a bit. Rick

Pook said:
barrell get hot?

Gets warm, but not too hot to hold my hand on. I know it's combustible, and it's a little close...I paid real close attention to it when I was first burning the stove. The barrel and the wooden box on the other side aren't a problem. I watch the temps pretty closely, and I've got a long season of burning experience now with this setup. Rick

Pook said:
u know it gets hot & dries so maybe it aint got to get so hot...
i'd fill it with beer 2b safe

It's an old nail keg...and I mean old. Ain't gonna hold no liquid nothin'...besides, I don't like my beer that warm. Rick

Wow Rick, if I had my stove that hot this time of year it would drive us outside. Very nice setup and awfull clean for a shop. :)

74 today and supposed to stay that way for a week and maybe get warmer after that.

I saw from one of your other posts you were on an aircraft carrier. I was in the Navy for 4 years in 1965-69. Much better than the draft and getting shipped off to Vietnam. My twin brother waited and soon after I enlisted he was in line and they said you are now a proud Marine. Not for me but he spent only 2 years and got wounded in Vietnam but not seriously.

I was a storekeeper and traveled the Med and East coast. I volunteered for Operation Deepfreeze and wintered over at McMurdo Base instead of going to Vietnam. I think it was a wonderful place compared to the alternative. :)

Just colder than it's s'posed to be here at the end of May. I've been burning in the shop pretty much every day, at least in the mornings for a while to get the chill off. Wish it was 74* here, which is a lot closer to what's average. I want to be at least average!

1969 was the year I started my service. I, too, enlisted in the Navy to avoid the alternative. I ended up making it a 30+ year career, but that's certainly not what I had in mind when I joined. I was mostly a PacFlt sailor, I've never been to the Med nor to Europe...just all over Asia & the Pacific. In my first years in the Navy, I was fascinated by the idea of wintering over...I coveted that service ribbon of various shades of ice-blue. Ended up with my share of fruit salad to wear, but you had a very unique experience that few people ever have. My carrier duty was late in my career, I was Chief Engineer of Kitty Hawk '93-'95. Best job I had in my whole career.

I'm really glad that both you and your brother came home safe and sound...so many didn't. Rick

Rick - did you know that the kitty is now in its final sail before decommissioning? Sad to see the last oil burner go. She was the sister to my ship (Ranger).

Nice looking shop ya got there.

Yeah, jags...that's been scheduled for quite a while now. We had to wait until the Japanese finally consented to put a nuclear powered carrier in Yokosuka to replace Kitty Hawk as our forward-deployed platform. Some capital investment in modifications to the facilities there were also required. Yes, she's our last conventionally powered carrier. If I can swing it, I'm going to try to make it to the decom ceremony. Rick

fossil said:
Yeah, jags...that's been scheduled for quite a while now. We had to wait until the Japanese finally consented to put a nuclear powered carrier in Yokosuka to replace Kitty Hawk as our forward-deployed platform. Some capital investment in modifications to the facilities there were also required. Yes, she's our last conventionally powered carrier. If I can swing it, I'm going to try to make it to the decom ceremony. Rick

Give her a salute for me!

In 1967 I was in training at Ft. Eustis. One weekend I was in Norfolk walking around and made a right turn between two rows of row houses and was immediately confronted with the side of the John F. Kennedy which was parked behind the houses. At that range it took my breath away. I was less than two blocks from the side of the middle of that big sucker and it was towering over me and the people's back yards.

Wow!

PS: Had to fire the stove this morning here in the basement.

There wasn't a day that passed during my association with Naval Aviation and Aircraft Carriers (which both pre-and post-dated my tour as Engineer in Kitty Hawk) when I wasn't awestruck by the ships and how we made them work, and what our normal daily (and nightly) routine was all about. 5000 people, 70-some odd aircraft of a few different flavors, underway and operating. Flight ops (launches & recoveries) day and night. Yeah, while in port, I drove to work like everyone else on the freeway, but when I got onto the North Island Naval Air Station and turned toward my parking spot by the side of the towering ship, I couldn't help but think of what a special opportunity I'd been given. It never became routine. It was amazing. I miss it (the ships, the sailors, and the sea). I'll never forget it. Rick

I guess it was a little different from five guys in a Chinook with a case of C-Rations. Oh well. Water scares the hell out of me and boomers even more.

Good friend's kid got his Porpoises in the sub corp just before the Navy invited him to leave for slugging a cop in port. I could never imagine closing that lid and living down there in one of those boats. Give me the safety of hanging below six rotor blades in an aluminum can 9,000 feet up any day.

You go sailors.

Little story. When our unit first went over they hauled the Chinooks on a carrier. When one of the pilots was flying off the ship the aft rotor blades took out their antennas. It got a little nasty out there. I don't think Army was a good word on that ship after that. But a few years later when we hauled Bob Hope, and especially Ann Margret, out to a carrier they liked us more.

Attachments

• BobHope1997.jpg
    BobHope1997.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 972
BrotherBart said:
I guess it was a little different from five guys in a Chinook with a case of C-Rations.

Yeah, I went for a few rides in some of those bone-shakers. Of course, for us Navy guys, they had to provide, in addition to the cranials & floatcoats, mouthpieces to keep our teeth from chipping and plastic raincoats to keep all the dripping hydraulic oil off our clean & pressed uniforms. :lol: You really need to take a trip out here to Oregon...they even sell 12-packs here now. Rick

BrotherBart said:
I guess it was a little different from five guys in a Chinook with a case of C-Rations. Oh well. Water scares the hell out of me and boomers even more.

Good friend's kid got his Porpoises in the sub corp just before the Navy invited him to leave for slugging a cop in port. I could never imagine closing that lid and living down there in one of those boats. Give me the safety of hanging below six rotor blades in an aluminum can 9,000 feet up any day.

You go sailors.

Little story. When our unit first went over they hauled the Chinooks on a carrier. When one of the pilots was flying off the ship the aft rotor blades took out their antennas. It got a little nasty out there. I don't think Army was a good word on that ship after that. But a few years later when we hauled Bob Hope, and especially Ann Margret, out to a carrier they liked us more.

To hel with Bob Hope, where the pic of Ann? Shes still hot!!!!!!!!!

Jags Scariest ride #3 in anything military:

Special weapons detachment, Fallon NV., waiting for jets to return from missile shoot. ex nam pilot walks into hanger - "anybody want a ride?" SURE was the response from 2 of us. Hmmm....up, backwards, flip the chopper around, so the pilot could see, with 2 sailors splattered on the floor of this thing. Was not prepared for that. The fun part began when we got to strap on to a 50 cal at the gunner door, and shoot tin cans on the ground. Priceless.

As to not hijack the thread = Done burning wood here. Low 80's for the weekend, and looking good from there.

Hogwildz said:
To hel with Bob Hope, where the pic of Ann? Shes still hot!!!!!!!!!

Here she is bro.

Attachments

• ann margret.jpg
    ann margret.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 353
Who would ever have thought that someday Ann Margaret would hijack one of my threads on Hearth.com? :bug: Rick

fossil said:
Who would ever have thought that someday Ann Margaret would hijack one of my threads on Hearth.com? :bug: Rick

I think she is Navy. She had on her dress whites.

Attachments

• ann margret 1.jpg
    ann margret 1.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 318
Request permission to come aboard! :p Rick

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

I think she is Navy. She had on her dress whites.

Ohhh SNAP!

fossil real nice/clean shop you have there…

…I just had wrist surgery on the anniversary of the greatest sea borne evasion in the entire history of man…that is why I’m here on the computer on the lovely day, in a cast from my knuckles to just above the elbow.

I stumbled upon this post and wanted to give a shout out to my brothers fossil, Carl, Jags, and BrotherBart.

I went in the Army in 68 and was put in the army’s navy in Ft Eustis …later on I was reassigned to NIOTC at Mare Is, CA where I was the only army guy in class of sailors learning the strategies of PBR warfare. Later served in RVN often ran into a few of my navy buddies I meant at NIOTC.

Also BrotherBart, in ’70 I was Norfork when the JFK came home to a brass band…everyone deserted the ship…my wife and I toured the ship for 45min before we saw the 1st soul. We both sat in those dentist like captains chairs for over 15 min before the MA came out of the radio room to have a smoke break just to say 'enjoy your tour'….LOL.

Later on during the Reagan administration I joined the Army reserves was activated a few times…currently activated but on convalescence med leave in sep I have 29 good years.

Cause my wife never worked ‘TriCare for life’ is my objective but also I enjoy still being able to serve the Republic and mostly the comradeship...anyway...that's that.

Comrades in arms, we are. Actually, my wife is retired Navy as well. We're now on Tricare standard, as there's no military healthcare facility anywhere near us. Working OK so far. TFL will come when we reach Medicare age in another 5 years or so. Take good care of that wrist, savage, and heal soon! Rick

savageactor7 said:
I went in the Army in 68 and was put in the army’s navy in Ft Eustis …

Sounds like we were at Eustis at the same time. I used to sneak down to the boats where a friend worked to eat the good meals they had since they bought provisions at the grocery store and cooked their own.

For field exercises we climbed on those things and invaded Fort Story.

thanks fossil, yes we are brothers. Tricare rep told me when I retire at age 60 (next feb) I'll be eligible for TFL @ 475 per year...so I dunno. Sure there's a deductible that's no prob, I worry about the major medical that can bankrupt you.

BrotherBart you must be talking about the LCU boats, those were one of the many boats I trained on...yeah for the army they lived large and that's what I was hoping for. But truthfully I never ate as well as when I was attached to the Navy...esp the fresh fruit. The army had good looking fruit but it always tasted like tennis balls...the Navies fruit was sweet and melted in your mouth just like God intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.