Today I Feel Small, Very Small

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
You've heard me say it many times: "the best device for determining the moisture content of split firewood is with a multi-year calendar." Please pass the humble pie.

Today I was going to bring some Honey Locust, that had been split and stacked in the sun and wind for 3 years 4 months, to the house. Just by chance I had my moisture meter with me so for giggles and grins I re-split and checked a piece. When I saw a reading of 35% you could have knocked me over with a feather. I split and checked another 9 pieces from various parts of the stack and got readings between 28 and 35%!

The funny thing is I also checked some B lack Locust, cut from the same lot, split and stacked the same week as the Honey Locust and it read between 15% and 18%!

I think I need a new calendar, mine seems to be running fast!;lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! Sounds like honey locust needs to take the oak calendar and double it! :eek:

Check your moisture meter. Some have 3 or 4 different settings. I accidentally had mine on the wrong setting and it showed 32% for 3yr old maple. Switch to the correct setting and it came in at 9%...Just a thought...:)

Check your moisture meter. Some have 3 or 4 different settings. I accidentally had mine on the wrong setting and it showed 32% for 3yr old maple. Switch to the correct setting and it came in at 9%...Just a thought...:)

I only have 2 settings on mine (I think it's by Central Tool from Lowes) and I checked it a couple of time and it was on the wood setting and had a good battery. I think this my become one of life's little mysteries.

No doubt! Was it fully covered on all sides or what?
Are you sure your thinking of the right pile? It sounds almost impossible. Unless you live in the rainforest!
Nope, none of my wood has ever been fully or even top covered. Weird, ain't it:eek:

i got a load of honey locust this march that was just cut down. most of it's dry

Way OT: I hope they're more accurate than hay measure and temp testers. Those things only seem to throw doubt into ones ability to judge when hay is dry enough. My wife has been working with hay for over 40 years and she won a hay probe tester a couple years ago, and it just makes one doubt your knowledge. I think you can trust the temperature but not the humidity.

http://www.agratronix.com/07120.html

I've got some honey locust, and red oak logs I scored from a buddy of mine... I got them two years ago, a logger had left them sit for 3-4 years before I snatched them up. I'm just starting to buck and split them and the HL is showing 25-30% and the oak is 20-25%... by the looks of them I would have guessed lower....
aba0b1159c648012a80f1c8bd924c4f5.jpg

These HL rounds are from the same score, bucked them last fall, they are still showing 20-25%
420f1193c1c1a7e90ea57be5601edbbc.jpg

But, that is why we have moisture meters.

BTW, I have the same meter and love it.

Reactions: Ralphie Boy
Status
Not open for further replies.