Today I took the plunge (Jotul F55)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cuttingedge

Nov 11, 2013
Maine
Well today was the day! Paid for everything including install.
October 7th is delivery/ installation day. I am very excited to see what this thing can do. Should be much better than our current Thor insert.

Reactions: Jerhurt
Congratulations. I heard that jotul is running a special. If you take a pic before and after the install the company will send you $300.

Nice, that stove made my finals list although I went with the Woodstock PH you should be very happy with the Jotul.

Well done. That stove can put out the heat. It is very nicely crafted. You'll love it. Take pictures as it goes in.

I bought one myself a couple of weeks ago to go in our new home. Can't wait to see how it does. And we are lucky enough to have at least five cord of wood I cut so far to make a lawn for next year

This stove will want well seasoned wood. If the wood was cut this year, it may not be ready for this year's heating season.

I have always had older stoves and fireplaces which would burn just about anything. EPA stoves are new to me but I do have plenty of seasoned wood.
I am going to be burning mostly ash and cherry this year and a mix of ash, cherry and oak next year. So far I have about 20 cords cut split and stacked from last year and this spring. All of the ash that I cut over the winter was dead standing and pretty dry. The oak on the other hand was cut last fall and still needs a year or two. I am hoping to do another 30- 40 cords by winter as I am going to start selling firewood again for some extra money next year. Now as far as the stove install, it will be replacing an older Thor metal works insert and I am going to have to figure something out to extend my hearth for this season until I can get someone in to close up the opening. I am thinking that a piece of stove board will suffice and will be the cheapest option for this season. I do not want to spend the money on a hearth pad if we are going to get the hearth extended with brick next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.