Today was 63 Deg, colder than last Xmass 64 Deg, did anyone lite their stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello
Crazy weather here in the NE
It was 66 in the workshop last night and I came very close to lighting the stove.
Did anyone light their stove?

Nope. Without air conditioning, I need to let the house stay as cold as I can. Last Friday when I left for work (5 am), it was already 78* in the house (cumulative effect from several days of 85-90* weather plus abundant sunshine) - even with all doors/windows open and ceiling fans going. If it hadn't cooled off over the weekend, my house would easily been in the 90's during the day and 80's at night.

That around here would be a perfect day and if you were cool
just put a sweeter on . I know you are use to the heat where as we aren't in fact
what you call normal is to hot for us point in fact a special weather statement for my area

Alerts for: Smiths Falls - Lanark - Sharbot Lake
Statements

10:52 AM EDT Monday 11 July 2016
Special weather statement in effect for:

• Plevna - Sharbot Lake - Western Lanark County
  • Smiths Falls - Perth - Eastern Lanark County
A hot and humid airmass from the Gulf of Mexico will affect most of southern Ontario from Tuesday through Thursday.

The heat will arrive during the day Tuesday with highs of 30 to 33 in most places. Wednesday and Thursday are also expected to be very warm, however, some areas could see some occasional relief due to the possibility of showers or thunderstorms.

The nights will be warm and muggy with overnight lows of 20 to 23.

A somewhat cooler airmass is forecast to move in Thursday night.

Heat warnings will likely be issued today for most of southern Ontario.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

That around here would be a perfect day and if you were cool
just put a sweeter on . I know you are use to the heat where as we aren't in fact
what you call normal is to hot for us point in fact a special weather statement for my area

Alerts for: Smiths Falls - Lanark - Sharbot Lake
Statements

10:52 AM EDT Monday 11 July 2016
Special weather statement in effect for:

• Plevna - Sharbot Lake - Western Lanark County
  • Smiths Falls - Perth - Eastern Lanark County
A hot and humid airmass from the Gulf of Mexico will affect most of southern Ontario from Tuesday through Thursday.

The heat will arrive during the day Tuesday with highs of 30 to 33 in most places. Wednesday and Thursday are also expected to be very warm, however, some areas could see some occasional relief due to the possibility of showers or thunderstorms.

The nights will be warm and muggy with overnight lows of 20 to 23.

A somewhat cooler airmass is forecast to move in Thursday night.

Heat warnings will likely be issued today for most of southern Ontario.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports to #ONStorm.

We are also getting Heat Wave warnings for the end of this week so this is what I have done to prepare for the heat wave over the past few years!

What have you guys done?

To Yank in some cooler air at night, besides the living room ceiling fan and bathroom fan I put in, I also installed a whole house fan in the hallway and a gable fan in the attic. These 2 fans really push out the hot air and suck in the cooler air outside. We just open all the windows a crack and you can feel the cooler air rushing in! :)

The gable fan we block up in the winter to keep the heat in the house. :)

They were easy to install.
See pics
Pic 1-2 Whole house fan
Pic 3 Attic Gable Fan
Pic 4 Radiant Heat Shield
Pic 5 Living Room AC
Pic 6 Kitchen AC

The biggest and easiest improvement was when I installed the radiant heat shield under those pink rafter vents. (i.e. Reflectix Foil from Home Depot)
It keeps the Suns heat out so the house is 10 Degs cooler in the summer time every day. See pic 4
After tacking in all the rafter vents and foil my brand new Sears Craftsman pnematic staple gun blew a rod and I got a new one under warranty. Guess all that work was a little to much for the poor little fella! LOL :)

Of course the 10k & 12k BTU AC units in the living room and kitchen that I built into the wall keep the place ice cold if we wish too.
The living room AC unit did not stop me from making a built-in hutch with shelves above it!
I had to move the window in the kitchen over to the right a bit to build that AC in so it was a bit tricky! LOL Installing the AC units electrical outlets in the wall and wiring to a seperate circuit was the fun part since I am an Electrical Engineer. Certainly better than blocking up the windows wth a cheaper unit!:)

Click pics to enlarge:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.2 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    214.7 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 121
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 130
2 1/2 ton whole house AC
close the windows and drapes
AC keeps the house at 70deg
with out working to hard

Reactions: Don2222
Was busy trying to keep the roof on. As usual the way to end a drought is with a bang and this was no exception. Two nights rains brought us 4.3 inches. Corn grew over half foot yesterday. Cooler weather for the rest of the week. May fire up the infloor system to get the basement dried out if the night temp gets under 65 again soon.

Hello
Crazy weather here in the NE
It was 66 in the workshop last night and I came very close to lighting the stove.
Did anyone light their stove?
I think you need Help

Reactions: bogieb
I am hoping to not light anything till October. 58 outside this AM and with the windows open all night the house went down to 68. Had enough rain in the last week to finish the corn and beans and corn prices may fall below $3/bu as the USDA thinks there will be a record crop of over170 bu average.

I think you need Help
I just bought a Quad CB-1200 Classic Bay the other night with 7 bags of pellets. When I got it home, I cleaned out the blowers and I had to try it! It is the 3rd one I have had in my shop. What a great stove!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 94
I have stopped buying any stoves to refurbish. With propain under 90 cents a gallon and fuel oil around $2 I don't see anyone rushing to buy a pellet stove this season. I have a Hearthstone wood stove to finish repairs on to sell and probably use its profit(very little) to stay in south TX to help my folks adjust to their move there.
With the wild swings in weather we are probably due for a wicked winter in MN.

With the price of propane a lot higher here, pellets can still be cheaper to burn. Certainly is for me - and that doesn't even count the firesale pellets I got last spring. Just checked the NH fuel price website and as of 8/2/16 the average price of propane is $2.39 per gallon (my cost is at least $1/gal more). The average price of oil is $1.93 per gallon (must admit, I saw $1.69 in my town last week as I was going by an oil place).

Edit: checked with a heating calculator, and if I bought wood pellets for $258/to and used 6.5 tons (I use 4.5-6 depending on how hard the winter is - so used a little over for it to calculate costs ), the cost would be less than $1,900 for the season. IF I had an Energy star propane boiler (I don't, and it is 25 years old), and I got propane for the $2.39/gallon (I can't) then I would use $2,900 for the season.

Last edited:
That price of propane is about what they charge here for small tank refills for the grills etc.
Long range weather forecast for the next 30 days here is for below normal temps and above normal rainfall and if that holds for the rest of the year the snowblower will get more than a tank of gas through it.

Reactions: bogieb
Status
Not open for further replies.