Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
certified106 said:
looking Good! it looks like your dogs are having fun haha

thanks eh, and yah they always do 106... :)

tfdchief said:
Loon, I know you can't tell much from pictures, especially color, so I am going to ask. Is the wood pale yellow? Something about those logs doesn't look right for Black locust.

it does look like that? but will take a couple better pics of it tomorrow...

loon said:
it does look like that? but will take a couple better pics of it tomorrow...
OK loon but what I meant was, black locust wood should be pale yellow, but in the pics it looks almost white.

kinda hard to see but it is yellow/green right beside the bark chief :) the thorns are not alot of fun to deal with ;-P

and the bark almost comes right off? will split some on the weekend just to have a look...

loon

DSC09590.jpg

That is strange. I don't doubt that it is Black Locust because everything about it looks that way, except the color of the wood. All Black Locust I have ever cut was distinctly pale yellow. But then maybe it is a local thing, cause you are a long way from me. Looks like a heck of score!

Kinda like the guy who finds out that the black liquid that's been oozing out of the ground in his back yard for years is oil! Major score!

went out and did a quick split and this is how it came out...
the only problem about the location of them is its totally covered in burr bushes..but will let it dry up a bit then take the tractor down to do some skimming :)

ya i hear ya flatbed, not a friggen clue what i got into ;-)

DSC09597.jpg

loon said:
went out and did a quick split and this is how it came out...
the only problem about the location of them is its totally covered in burr bushes..but will let it dry up a bit then take the tractor down to do some skimming :)

ya i hear ya flatbed, not a friggen clue what i got into ;-)

DSC09597.jpg
Now it looks the right color! ;-)

went down and talked to the fella yesterday and asked him to paint the tree's he wants gone..

wasnt expecting what i seen tonite!!

just got a hold of my buddy from work and we will be doing the work friday. tractor/4 wheeler/trailers/trucks/chainsaws will be busy :cheese:

will post a pic or 2 ;-)

loon

here are my boys helping out and there were 7 of us at it :) 28 trees down and will be bringing half of them up to the house..

got more pictures but i am having problems putting them up???

loon

DSC09616.jpg

That's quite a score loon. Nice to have all that help. Looks like you had great weather. My son and I got rained out getting the neighbor's tree. Hope to finish tomorrow.

tfdchief said:
That's quite a score loon. Nice to have all that help. Looks like you had great weather. My son and I got rained out getting the neighbor's tree. Hope to finish tomorrow.

chief the weather was great and yes it sure was nice to have help as the hill woulda done me in for sure :p

there were a few large elm/maple on the right of the pic that i pulled out with the truck but basically we just worked down the left of the picture..the fella had been making brush piles before i started giving him a hand and we just added to them..

i dropped all the trees and that went well except for a big hanger but we pulled that out with the tractor..

it was good timing as we are getting big rain today and have fun with your wood today :)

loon

DSC09612-1.jpg

Wow, sweet score loon.

thanks Solar..

was wondering how you like your Shindaiwa? i am going to be buying another chainsaw as my 3 year old stihl broke again yesterday and the thing is costing me more than its worth... will post a pic of the problem in a bit.

loon

loon said:
was wondering how you like your Shindaiwa?

Shindaiwa makes solid equipment. I have that saw and a string trimmer that has a pretty gnarly 8" circular brush cutter set up that has been in the family for a few decades now. Not sure what saw you are looking at, I have a 20" bar with full chisel on the 416. It gets the job done if you are patient but is underpowered for that set up IMO. The Husky 371/2 is a much better firewood saw IMO.

ok thanks eh :) i run 2 Husky's also but they arent mine and will look into the 371.

a screw snapped and wedged up against the magnet,got it free but cant get the flywheel off??

any pointers gang??

thanks

loon

DSC09620-1.jpg

the rain finally quit and i wedged a piece of wood beside the screw to hold it away from the magnets but that only lasted about 20 minutes :cheese:

we are still going at it though with the husky...gonna get the tractor and knock this wood down as it isnt the safest way to cut logs.. imo ;-)

loon

DSC09640-1.jpg

[quote author="loon" date="1303517581"]here are my boys helping out and there were 7 of us at it :) 28 trees down and will be bringing half of them up to the house..

got more pictures but i am having problems putting them up???

loon

Looks good Loon and keep the young guys working! ;-)

Zap

thanks zap and the pair of them are pretty good to come out and give me a hand when needed ;-)

my buddy from work is still stopping in down the road and collecting the downed trees. we should be cleaned up by the end of the weekend...

loon

Loon it looks like you've been busy, have you finished with all the wood and the dogs look great.

GIBIR

Status
Not open for further replies.