Today's Cherry Scrounge......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snigg

Apr 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
Scored a nice load of cherry today, still gotta go back and pick up another truck load.....

Attachments

• photo (7).jpg
    photo (7).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 146
That is a nice sized cherry too. But I'll let you guys do the wood gathering in this weather. I'll get started maybe by December 1 when it is much better cutting weather.

Nice score on the cherry. Was it storm damaged? Just asking because I have about 20 cherry trees in my timber and everyone of them is storm damaged. Must be a cherry thing. I'm still cutting wood through the summer Dennis. But then, I'm way behind you. Plus, I can use the sweat. I've been the victim of severe trunk spread over the years! :)

Nice score on the cherry. Was it storm damaged? Just asking because I have about 20 cherry trees in my timber and everyone of them is storm damaged. Must be a cherry thing. I'm still cutting wood through the summer Dennis. But then, I'm way behind you. Plus, I can use the sweat. I've been the victim of severe trunk spread over the years! :)
Yes it was storm damage from last week. There had been quite a few trees down around here this summer from all of the storms.

Reactions: ScotO
Snigg do you find cherry trees storm damaged in your area often? I'm thinking they are inherently weak trees. It's hard to find one around here that's not missing a large limb.

Snigg do you find cherry trees storm damaged in your area often? I'm thinking they are inherently weak trees. It's hard to find one around here that's not missing a large limb.
Yes, there always seems to be some cherry trees or limbs that come down during the big storms around here.

I'm working on a cherry that was storm damage from last week as well. They do seem to come down quick in the wind!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: WeldrDave and ScotO
Snigg, that's a great score there! MMMMM MMMM I love that cherry!

Snigg, that's a great score there! MMMMM MMMM I love that cherry!
Couldn't agree more Scott. Nice heat and makes the whole forest smell like kick butt BBQ

Reactions: ScotO

;lol We know all too well about that strange swelling we get in our bodies.

I think most of the time the cherry gets infested with ants and for sure that will weaken the trees. Other than that, we rarely have one storm damaged. However, we don't have but one cherry that is sort of out in the open because we are mostly wooded on our whole place.

Reactions: Missouri Frontier
The ants know a nice sweet wood and make it their home unfortunately.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice stack snigg. BBQ time!

Status
Not open for further replies.