Today's experiment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

imaddicted2u

Nov 29, 2013
Nova Scotia
I put a heating coil in the heat exchanger of my old boiler a while back connected to my electric hot water tank. Gravity feed worked but not well enough.
I ran across this little 12v hot water pump for about $20 on ebay. It's submersible too. It arrived today and I hooked it up. I'm using a 12v DC 1 amp power pack from an old set of computer speakers to power it. The pump maxes out at 0.5 amp. I'm using a Honeywell temp switch to turn it on and off but as it turns out it never cools down enough to shut off. I guess it'll shut off when the fire goes out.
The setup is kind of temporary but now that I know how well it works, I'll make it permanent.
8h82.jpg

After tweaking the flow with the shutoff valve, I got water temp over 130 degrees F into the water heater with a flue temp of 350F. As the tank heats up I expect I'll get even higher temperature.
133.5F in this pic.
k6kz.jpg

Here is a pic of how I connected it to the boiler.
rprc.jpg

Electric hot water tank connections,
sce0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.