Todays Fun(updated with more pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Well i started cleaning up this big oak for my neighbor today. this was fun and challenging at the same time. lots of stuff i had to watch for on this one. was able to cut notches in the tree and provide relief cuts then took the old 4 x4 and pulled it out safely. got most of the hazardous stuff out of the way and cut up. i'll wait for colder weather to cut up the trunk of the tree so i can back my trailer on the lawn. this should be burnt in about 4 years. so plenty of time to get it split and stacked.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 642
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 637
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 646
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 638
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 644
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 652
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 634
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 655
plus a nice maple underneath that it took down.

ecocavalier02 said:
Well i started cleaning up this big oak for my neighbor today. this was fun and challenging at the same time. lots of stuff i had to watch for on this one. was able to cut notches in the tree and provide relief cuts then took the old 4 x4 and pulled it out safely. got most of the hazardous stuff out of the way and cut up. i'll wait for colder weather to cut up the trunk of the tree so i can back my trailer on the lawn. this should be burnt in about 4 years. so plenty of time to get it split and stacked.

Nice work eco, looks like you had a great day for it. How much wood do you think you'll get out of it?

zap

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Nice work eco, looks like you had a great day for it. How much wood do you think you'll get out of it?

zap
im thinking maybe 2 cords. the trunk of the oak is all of close to 36 inches round for a solid 15 feet.

Nice, that wil be worth the wait.

zap

He got really lucky. the tree fell from his neighbors yard. and just missed his slider door. where he happen to be standing when it fell at 3 am the night of the storm.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 589
Is that the same guy that just won that huge powerball jackpot from ct?

Gonna get some long burn times when you burn it.
Good job.

maxed_out said:
Is that the same guy that just won that huge powerball jackpot from ct?
haha. yeah no kidding.

bogydave said:
Good job.
dave i promise when i come to visit that i'll bring some nice 3 year old oak. ;-)

ecocavalier02 said:
bogydave said:
Good job.
dave i promise when i come to visit that i'll bring some nice 3 year old oak. ;-)

Come visit here too! Cheers!

i have about 10 cords of oak right now. maybe a little more so this will just add to the pile. i have a few cords of maple. i actually kinda want to try and get some pine or even maybe some more cotton wood. i have some cotton wood now and its nice to have gets the fire roaring fast and its really dry.

ecocavalier02 said:
i have about 10 cords of oak right now. maybe a little more so this will just add to the pile. i have a few cords of maple. i actually kinda want to try and get some pine or even maybe some more cotton wood. i have some cotton wood now and its nice to have gets the fire roaring fast and its really dry.

Pine.....did you say pine, looks like the wife is from the old school so pine might be out of the question here (I'll work at it) we have plenty that needs bucking,splitting and stacked.

zap

zapny said:
ecocavalier02 said:

Pine.....did you say pine, looks like the wife is from the old school so pine might be out of the question here (I'll work at it) we have plenty that needs bucking,splitting and stacked.

zap
i noticed when on my hiking trip that the adk's is full of pine. lot more than in new hampshire in the white mountains.

Did you have any trees and branches in your yard from the storm Bobby?
I spent most of today cutting and cleaning storm damage and Im already up to about a cord and Im only halfway through, theres much more than I originally thought because it was all spread out. My neighbor said he has some huge oak limbs that he wants me to cut up and I can have and my other neighbor had a big maple that fell right on out property line, I'm going to ask him if he wants me to take care of it since its only 150 feet from my wood pile.
Plus I got over a half cord of pine that the power company cut up for me and left on the edge of my yard. I may end up with 2 1/2 cords from this storm and never leave my street.

weatherguy said:
Did you have any trees and branches in your yard from the storm Bobby?
I spent most of today cutting and cleaning storm damage and Im already up to about a cord and Im only halfway through, theres much more than I originally thought because it was all spread out. My neighbor said he has some huge oak limbs that he wants me to cut up and I can have and my other neighbor had a big maple that fell right on out property line, I'm going to ask him if he wants me to take care of it since its only 150 feet from my wood pile.
Plus I got over a half cord of pine that the power company cut up for me and left on the edge of my yard. I may end up with 2 1/2 cords from this storm and never leave my street.
yeah i did my yard and the two neighbors connecting to my yard last weekend. both which are older people. the one neighbors is 78 i believe and he still burns so we cut it up for him. then the other side is two old ladies i cleaned up all theres. i probably got maybe close to a half cord out of mine. and the two ladies. but the big one in the pictures will be all of two cords i think. and thats without leaving the street as well. you cant beat that.

ecocavalier02 said:
the adk's is full of pine.

The big ones burn surprisingly well if you split them big. The small ones go up pretty quick especially in the old smoke dragon at camp. Need a BK up there.

Bobby, that looks like a nasty place for a tree to fall. You'll enjoy the wood for sure.

got it all picked up from the neighbors house what i cut last week. i still have the trunk to cut up. but ill get that in a couple weeks . got it all home and stacked. going to be a busy winter splitting wood. looking forward to cold temps and working outside.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 341
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 327
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 342
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 338
Nice work eco! Great pics man. I am glad to see you got all that wood for free. That is awesome. I like that trailer. What do you use for a splitter?

Gasifier said:
Nice work eco! Great pics man. I am glad to see you got all that wood for free. That is awesome. I like that trailer. What do you use for a splitter?
huskee 22 ton. it does the job just fine. but some of this may get split by hand for some good exercise this winter. All the wood i got its free. paying for wood, would be ridiculous. lol got at least 15 cords and counting. i should be over 20 by time winter ends. lots of wood to cut and split this winter.

huskee 22 ton. it does the job just fine. but some of this may get split by hand for some good exercise this winter. All the wood i got its free. paying for wood, would be ridiculous. lol got at least 15 cords and counting. i should be over 20 by time winter ends. lots of wood to cut and split this winter.

I split a little by hand every year. Enjoy the exercise. But when I have to do a bunch, I borrow or rent a splitter. One day I am going to buy one. As far as paying for wood being rediculous, let me tell you this. If I get a little extra money, and as busy as I am some times, I will buy five face cord all cut and split and dumped in my driveway. Man is it nice to only have to stack the wood. With a big house, wife, four kids, the job, and a big family, time can be tight sometimes. What a time saver it can be to buy it.

Gasifier said:

I split a little by hand every year. Enjoy the exercise. But when I have to do a bunch, I borrow or rent a splitter. One day I am going to buy one. As far as paying for wood being rediculous, let me tell you this. If I get a little extra money, and as busy as I am some times, I will buy five face cord all cut and split and dumped in my driveway. Man is it nice to only have to stack the wood. With a big house, wife, four kids, the job, and a big family, time can be tight sometimes. What a time saver it can be to buy it.
i bet it could be a nice time saver. which is why its nice to be so far ahead. i dont have to rush everything but for me if i was paying for wood i would not do it. its all apart of the fun of burning for me. in my case i couldnt see paying for wood when theres so much out there. some people are different. whatever works for other people is just fine as well.

I'm with you Eco. The excuse to be outside doing something I enjoy is at least as important as the money saved. Besides, once you are ahead, you have the luxury of doing it on your terms. I stopped working in the slop and taking anything I can't back the trailer to last year.

SolarAndWood said:
I'm with you Eco. The excuse to be outside doing something I enjoy is at least as important as the money saved. Besides, once you are ahead, you have the luxury of doing it on your terms. I stopped working in the slop and taking anything I can't back the trailer to last year.
Same here. if i have to kill myself to get it then im not getting it. everything ive gotten lately is all easy to load. in the past i look back and go wow. that was crazy. lol i carried logs probably 50 yards sometimes. that was nuts. but that wont happen anymore. inless i have a tractor.

Status
Not open for further replies.