Today's Haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No it is a 660 still a great saw. I had an old 066 from a tree company that a buddy kept running for a few years was a beast. Sold it for the almost new 660 in the pics.

No it is a 660 still a great saw. I had an old 066 from a tree company that a buddy kept running for a few years was a beast. Sold it for the almost new 660 in the pics.
I am considering buying a saw in this class before next season. I am torn between a new 661 or 461. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Reactions: heavy hammer
I would go with the 661. The only thing that I don't know a lot about is all the new technology put on the new saws. They say off the shelf the 661 is a better saw than the 660. But the guy I purchased my three new 660's from last fall said he would like to see how they compare after ten years of running hard in the woods with the dirt, the heat, the cold, the wood sawdust etc. just my thought but you can still find brand new 660 out there never used. Regardless I would get one of those two. They are a little heavier than the 461 but not by much. What is the price difference between the 461 and the 661?

$220 more for the 661 here in my neck of the woods. $1179 for the 661, $959 for the 461. It's a lot of money either way, so I'm not gonna let $220 stop me. I just want the better cutting of the two and I don't want something so heavy it's miserable to use.

I'm 5' 10" 200 lb and running the 660 is no big deal my father is 60 and he loves it with the 25 inch bar. I don't think it's very heavy but I can also run my 880 all day with the 36 inch bar on it. For only $200 more I would get the 661.

Thanks for the advice, I'm 5'10" 170 lb but I'm solid and used to manual labor. The more I think about it the more sense it makes to buy the 661/660. I'll mainly be using it to fell and buck trough the big stuff. Not gonna be limbing with it. I still have a little while to make up my mind luckily.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Which ever one you decide on put up some pics. I think you would do fine with the 660/661. See if you can find one that someone has to try out once you do you will see what I'm talking about.

Reactions: StihlKicking
So for comparison how does the 660 run vs the 066? I ran my buddies 066 for an hour here and there but never ran 660/661.Same size, 91.6cc IIRC, 7.2 hp. I only run the 460 when I have bigger wood, which hasn't been much but it's there when I need it

The 066 does have a little more power because of the newer emission stuff on the 660 but you can get the modified muffler from stihl. That makes the 660 just about equivalent to the 066. From what I've been told I have that muffler just have not put it on yet. I have not noticed that much difference between the two in my use of the two. The 661 I have never ran but it is supposed to have more power than the 660. I'm sure if you put the three of them head to head it would not be that much of a difference, but I'm just guessing. I know the two I have ran were beasts.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Status
Not open for further replies.