Todays haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhoff310

Oct 7, 2010
Toledo Ohio area
The tree crews are still cutting ash trees in my neighborhood. Heres what I snagged today. I have more to go back for tomorrow. My neighbor 2 doors down is having a large ash tree dropped tomorrow. The box on my trailer is 18'X5.5'W

Jeff

Attachments

• 112310.jpg
    112310.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 477
Nice load.

Nice score, why did they cut the tree?

zap

Probably the Green Ash Borer - trying to stop it from spreading.

They city cut approx 100 ash trees this year due to the beetle. I have snagged probably 20-30 of them

Jeff

jhoff310 said:
They city cut approx 100 ash trees this year due to the beetle. I have snagged probably 20-30 of them

Jeff

I talked with the DEC in New York State and it's just a matter of time for us in the North Country, we don't have that many ash trees but it still sucks.

zap

zapny said:
I talked with the DEC in New York State and it's just a matter of time for us in the North Country, we don't have that many ash trees but it still sucks.

Wish we were that lucky. I was hoping to use all the ash as an annuity going forward to offset property taxes. Looks like it is going to be a lump sum.

Nice score BTW. While I hate to see EAB coming to the woods, the urban scrounging scene should be pretty sweet.

You snagged 20 to 30 Ash trees? That should be many years' supply.

Ash is also one tree that will store well for a very long time. If you have room - get all you can. It'll keep.

That is some great firewood jhoff310.

I agree it is a shame with all the ash dieing. A terrible thing to happen. First it is oaks getting hit by the gypsy moth, then oak wilt, then emerald ash borer, pine beetle, etc. Is there no end until all the trees are dead?

Backwoods Savage said:
That is some great firewood jhoff310.
Is there no end until all the trees are dead?

Next tree on the chopping block is black walnut. Look up thousand canker disease. Getting closer and closer to our area.

I went back tonight and got the rest of the 8' tall stump they took down today. The rounds were 26" across x 18" tall. I thought I was gonna drop the "boys" lifting them up. My other neighbor did not get his cut today maybe friday or early next week. I am relieved I have to get some wood moved before I wind up living in the wood shed. Boss lady is starting to get irritated with 15 wood piles sitting around the yard

Jeff

Here the big problem is "oak decline". Sorry to see some of these trees die, but they are a great supply of firewood. Their passing is regretted, but some are just much too large for the lots on which they are growing. Wrong tree in the wrong place.

Nice score there Jeff. I'm also in your same area and have been scoring a lot of Ash. It's a great burning wood but I sure am sad to see them go. A lot of them I'm coming across now are getting to the dangerous stage where they're ready to fall over. Sounds like we're in the same boat though with wood all over the yard, I know my wife donesn't like the look of it but that's offset by how much she likes being warm.

We're all in the same boat, here , gents. My wife said that I could 'have' the yard until April 15th. After that, she would like me to close up the 'woodlot' and give her her yard back.I have a lot of splitting and stacking to do b/f then! :) I just scored a few years worth of ash.

I have got more ash coming my way than I will know what to do with. I have at least 4 more city trees coming my way within the next 2 weeks. Next spring I am supposed to go to my cousins farm and cut around 150 or so ash trees.

I hope to get started with this year's wood cutting next week if the weather and body allows. Lots of ash and elm that need cutting up while they are still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.