Today's observations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
Went out to the back 40 to clean up some dead fall, and do some scrounging. I have a fair amount of black birck on my property. It started to rain again around 11am. When walking by these black birch I noticed a foam like substance spewing out of the black birches at ground level. What is this?

Cut down a leg of a standing dead red oak 10-12 inches. When bucking chips are coming out DRY. I am saying to myself, great I can burn this right away. Brought a round down to the house and split it. Stuck it with the moisture meter.....35+! Wow, I was shocked.

Well it's miller time............maybe not miller.

KC

iskiatomic said:
Went out to the back 40 to clean up some dead fall, and do some scrounging. I have a fair amount of black birck on my property. It started to rain again around 11am. When walking by these black birch I noticed a foam like substance spewing out of the black birches at ground level. What is this?

Cut down a leg of a standing dead red oak 10-12 inches. When bucking chips are coming out DRY. I am saying to myself, great I can burn this right away. Brought a round down to the house and split it. Stuck it with the moisture meter.....35+! Wow, I was shocked.

Well it's miller time............maybe not miller.

KC
I don't know what was comming out of the birch, but if you need some help clearing the back 40 just give me a call. :)

I would not exactly go as far as going 40. Just the nickname for behind the moat, in the home. Also the junkyard. Purchased the home and property with it's contents. Three junk cars/ trucks out back, coils of wire fencing, old marine fuel tanks, but, I got wood.

Anyone interested in a 1942-44 Chevy duelly, flatbed pickup? Got one.

KC

Almost put the Cheetah away today, but noooooooooo. Let's cut wood in the rain. I really don't want to pick up the rake.

iskiatomic said:
I would not exactly go as far as going 40. Just the nickname for behind the moat, in the home. Also the junkyard. Purchased the home and property with it's contents. Three junk cars/ trucks out back, coils of wire fencing, old marine fuel tanks, but, I got wood.

Anyone interested in a 1942-44 Chevy duelly, flatbed pickup? Got one.

KC

Almost put the Cheetah away today, but noooooooooo. Let's cut wood in the rain. I really don't want to pick up the rake.

I've been fearing the rake too! I only busted my stones today because I'll be away and figure I'll have to start raking when I get back. The pile of wood on the grass had to be dealt with first.

I think I need to correct myself, after seeing some pics in another thread, what I have and saw spweing was yellow birch.

It'll burn!

KC

iskiatomic said:
I think I need to correct myself, after seeing some pics in another thread, what I have and saw spweing was yellow birch.

It'll burn

KC

I've always liked yellow birch, burns good, but it does dry a little longer than some other wood. Can split a little hard sometimes

Like most trees, Birch really begins to suck up the moisture come spring time. Try cutting one of those birches down now and the stumps will run and ooze for weeks...and it does get foamy. I am not so sure i have seen this out of multiple live standing birches at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.