Today's score from Backwoods Savage....need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wishlist

Minister of Fire
Mar 28, 2011
Corunna, Michigan
Finally made it over to Sav's and picked up a truck load of pine that Dennis donated for the maple syrup evaporator.

Had a great time, weather was perfect. Low 20's and nothing but sunshine. Dennis has plowed his trails thru the woods and Pallet Pete and I went for a nice tour of the property. Dennis did a nice job plowing ( didn't hit any of his numerous woodpiles zap) and walking was easy.

Now here's the problem! I was all set to split the pine when I got home and my thoughts were not to violate the "wood hoarders code" so I would do the unthinkable and split this stuff vertical seeing how this wood came from a vertical splitter residence. I know, I must have hit my head on a low branch today, who splits vertical anyways? Well, here's the kicker! I only had a BLUE milkcrate. What to do now? Sun is setting soon so I confess and split this wood up as " normal" people do. Hope it doesn't give me bad karma or something? What do you all think? What would you have done? Blue milkcrate really caused anxiety today! :eek:

On another note, Dennis is absolutely everything we all see on here. Willing to share anything, help anyone, tells some great stories, just a class act!

I do think he should change his signature tho, his wife doesn't have a mean bone in her body! Ornery? Your wrong on that one my friend.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360455257965.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360455257965.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 220
  • uploadfromtaptalk1360455283961.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360455283961.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 207
Thats pretty neat that guys on the forum actually meet.
AND THEY ARE REALLY REAL PEOPLE!:rolleyes:

The few I've met have been all kinds of real people.

Could be ok for the evap., but the results could end up tainted.
Do you really want to chance it?!!!
Use it in the pit. Safer that way.
BTW, Dennis was the first to send me a PM when I got here, offering all kinds of advice about a new stove. Hope to meet him and "the ornery one" some day.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
BTW, Dennis was the first to send me a PM when I got here, offering all kinds of advice about a new stove. Hope to meet him and "the ornery one" some day.

She's far from ornery Papa. Sweet as pie! What I don't get is how she ended up with Backwards Savage! :D

Geeze, I didn't know that Dave. And we will meet one of these days. Because I've went through your town so many times I even have a pretty good idea where you live.

Dennis and the "ornery" one are great people! Dennis hooked me up with a cord + of good wood my first season after I ran out of decent wood. I could've just burned propain or suffered with "burnable" wood for the last couple months but Dennis hooked me up so I could burn the full season.

Dennis knows(or should know) if he ever comes up short on wood for some unthinkable reason I'll take care of him. :)

Well I got all the split pine moved into the sugar shack and some overflow into my barn. It will stay nice and dry and burn real good!

Funny thing happened while I was working today , I'll be darn if I didn't find a red milkcrate in the barn. Oh well maybe next time I will try and split vertical! Then again, just what would the neighbors think? :eek:

Thats pretty neat that guys on the forum actually meet.
AND THEY ARE REALLY REAL PEOPLE!:rolleyes:

Between hunting, fishing, and cycling chatboards, I have met plenty of people that are still my friends years down the road. Probably going to meet a couple from this board too since they want to cut/split together. Chatboards are just a great resource.

I am so jealous that the three of you were able to get together the other day. Me, all I have been doing is working and reading a chatboard once in a blue moon for a break.

I had no doubt that Dennis is a class act in real life too. None at all.

Between hunting, fishing, and cycling chatboards, I have met plenty of people that are still my friends years down the road. Probably going to meet a couple from this board too since they want to cut/split together. Chatboards are just a great resource.
Heck you live in West Friendship, Fabs......I'm sure with a town having that name, you are a good guy yourself! If you're ever up my way, throw me a line. We'll cut and split wood all day!

Heck you live in West Friendship, Fabs......I'm sure with a town having that name, you are a good guy yourself! If you're ever up my way, throw me a line. We'll cut and split wood all day!

How far is the Cabelas in PA from you? My parents are bugging the heck out of me to take them up there even though we have an Outdoor World just down the road. My mom just doesn't like any of the coats at Outdoor World and my dad has close to $1,000 in Cabelas Points he "needs" to use. Trying to explain mail order to them is vexing. Problem with me walking into Cabelas or Outdoor World is the same problem that a gambling addict has in arriving in Vegas. I have to leave the wallet in the car and park the car a long ways away.

So, maybe dropping them off and doing a bunch of cutting in the meantime would be the best thing for me.

How far is the Cabelas in PA from you? My parents are bugging the heck out of me to take them up there even though we have an Outdoor World just down the road. My mom just doesn't like any of the coats at Outdoor World and my dad has close to $1,000 in Cabelas Points he "needs" to use. Trying to explain mail order to them is vexing. Problem with me walking into Cabelas or Outdoor World is the same problem that a gambling addict has in arriving in Vegas. I have to leave the wallet in the car and park the car a long ways away.

So, maybe dropping them off and doing a bunch of cutting in the meantime would be the best thing for me.
I was just past Cabelas Sunday morning when I went to pick up antique flooring for my living room. It's around 3 hours away from me! (its at the intersection of I78 and RT61 above Reading, PA). I'm the same way, I didn't stop and look around. I'd end up wanting to spend that money we had for the flooring on something totally unrelated to flooring!!

Reactions: Pallet Pete
I was just past Cabelas Sunday morning when I went to pick up antique flooring for my living room. It's around 3 hours away from me! (its at the intersection of I78 and RT61 above Reading, PA). I'm the same way, I didn't stop and look around. I'd end up wanting to spend that money we had for the flooring on something totally unrelated to flooring!!

lol - I actually started laughing at that one. Me, I would have ended up coming home and saying "Honey, doesn't this new Benelli just look grand on the floor".

Trust me, I know where the Cabelas is. I have already been there a couple of times. Back then, I was not in the market for a gun because I had just bought a couple Berettas so I was able to leave for a couple hundred dollars at a time. Now, I am back in the market. It would be bad. Same reason I don't go over to Outdoor World right now. Gunbroker.com is quite bad enough, but at least I don't get to hold them and shoulder them just from a website. Even worse is that I want to buy some BigFoot goose decoys after seeing my buddy's. Actually, have wanted them for a decade or more, but that was before I was married and before I had the storage space. Now, I have tons of storage space, but I am married. Cannot imagine telling my wife that 6 of the smaller B2 decoys cost $180 and that 4 of the regular size ones cost $140 and I want a couple dozen. I need to tell her that we won the lottery first.

Reactions: ScotO
All this talk about Cabela's. Tomorrow morning my wife and I are going to the grand opening of another Cabela store. This one in Saginaw. I think it is nice touch that those with Cabela cards are invited tomorrow then the grand opening of non card-holders is the next day. This store will be much closer to us than the other Cabela store in southern MI.

Reactions: ScotO and tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.