today's score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

elijah

Hearth Supporter
Oct 14, 2009
Salt Lake City, UT
Closest to my home scrounge I've had so far in my short 15 month scrounging career, about 9 minutes from home. I'm guesstimating a cord and a half of poplar is what I was able to bring home today between two trailer fulls. Free and it's a great fire starter, couldn't say no.

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpg
    IMG_3976.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3978.jpg
    IMG_3978.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 272
I rarely say no to free BTUs. Nice score.

Nice score and sweet scrounge wagon. Perfect for residential lots around town.

elijah said:
Closest to my home scrounge I've had so far in my short 15 month scrounging career so far, about 9 minutes from home. I'm guesstimating a cord and a half of poplar is what I was able to bring home today between two trailer fulls. Free and it's a great fire starter, couldn't say no.

elijah, nice score. For the shoulder season next year we have some quaking aspen cut which some people up here call poplar.

zap

Zap, it is popple around here. But around here we don't have any yellow popple.

Elijah, that looks like it was a pretty good size tree!

It was the biggest poplar I've seen in person. I had to noodle half of the largest rounds just to be able to get them into the trailer. The other half I did lift up were all well north of a 100 pounds. It must of been over 2.5 cords of wood out of this tree, he of course kept the smaller stuff to waste, I mean burn, in his fire pit. It's crazy how this poplar can be so heavy when freshly cut and dry so fast and become so light. I'm probably at about 6 cords of poplar now, not my preferred burning wood but it definitely came at the preferred purchase price :)

Status
Not open for further replies.