Today's Scrounge--post the free btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CheapBassTurd

Minister of Fire
Jan 4, 2016
Indiana/ Michigan border
This is a place for roadside diggers to post pics of their prize soon to be ashes.
These were in the biodegradable section of the city dump.
101_1986 - Copy - Copy.JPG 101_1985 - Copy - Copy.JPG

Left the gnarly stuff as that's all there was. These were found rolling uglies out of the way
and hiding underneath from previous scroungers. Luckily overlooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. Maybe some oak and ash?

Everything on the pallet was scrounged over three weeks.
I debark whatever I can. That's really good ash that looks like a rotted telephone pole.

101_1988.JPG
Can't go wrong with free heat even if folks driving by have varying opinions of us. lol

Reactions: excessads
Somewhat same here. In central Ohio we have everything, but mostly four major players. Maples rule as a group, but not by much. Lots of ash, or at least there was and oak and cherry. In my specific local area we have a higher percentage of elm than oak, which kinda stinks.

This was today's score.... 20160928_223559.jpg

And this was yesterday's
20160922_170311.jpg
And a few days before
20160919_190044.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun and Jeffm1
Right now I have about 4 cord css, and roughly 3 that need to be recut. I am taking down 6-10 more trees, including a big pine, a big box elder, and a few dead elms. I also just got a hookup to clear an acre of dead fall. When things are easy though, I'll take them!

Reactions: Woody harrelson
View attachment 184665Today's scrounge city dump 043.JPG Today's scrounge city dump 001.JPG
Two trips in the Stratus. Going back in the am with the truck. Similar stuff. Same location
hidden in the sawgrass. Saw a few pieces and when the greenery was parted, ther'es at least a
C laying nearby, all next to the ditch under the power lines along forest.

Edit:
The 1 cord estimate could be horribly off. Those two carloads plus plus two level pickup loads
(or one crazy high and tied in place) I was figuring a real cord. Please correct if necessary.

Last edited:
Church day means pallet factory day now. They are only a few buildings apart.
next group 16 004.JPG next group 16 006.JPG
next group 16 005.JPG

200-250 lbs total. Not my best day butcha can't beat the price!!

....And about a day's worth of splittables. Now that I've posted here and on FB that I haven't used the saw
yet this year the longs go into inventory for getting bucked up at a later time. Got a good few 3-6 footers on
standby. Stoving nightly now with a short n' hot burn and the windows cracked open throughout the homestead.

So far staying loyal to the Cheapster mentality. With what farmerdude gave permission on, plus Asplundh drops,
and the wall of wood, looks like the first 2 1/2 seasons fuel is a freebie minus time and gas of course. Rotator rehab
on the shoulder going great. Gently split two small rounds daily, and today was one pushup pain free. I'm so looking
forward to busting up that whole 4X8 pallet with Christian radio going loud swinging n' praying. It's not just a woodstove.
This has become a whole new way of living and feeling. Marriage getting tighter, 2nd kid moved out finally at 23, and
going back to the job in a coupla weeks. Even with that sweet union paystub, we'll still get dvd's at the library, pop our
own corn, and pull off movie nite for around 35 cents. Planning a very fun and comfortable retirement.

CheapMark

Not so much "today", but a local PDX furniture maker called the Joinery, puts all there scraps in a bin for free. The best part they also collect all their saw dust and presses it into two inch round pellets. All hard wood.i have a 40, gallon garbage can filled with them. 4 days a week, take as much as you'd like! The pellets address great supplement to the cedar and fir I get from chipdrop.

Attachments

• IMG_20161004_004526.jpg
    IMG_20161004_004526.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 731
20161002_125306.jpg

There is even more now then you see in this picture. I did another truck and trailer load monday and today. Lady does a tree removal service for the city. Mixed hardwoods. Huge for me as i own 5 acres of cedar and other pines.

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Nice!!
You have a good two weeks of some 24/7 in this pic alone.
I too have unlimited tree access and haven't cut down a single limb yet. LOL
Scrounging takes 2/3 of the work out of the equation.

Your not kidding. In order to cut a tree down on my property I have to spend hours of bucking and hauling away slash. This stuff is one cut with the saw and then to the splitter, so awesome. I am going to be splitting well into the winter though to get this all stacked. My Chain is not used to this hardwood. I made it a new shade of blue steel last night.

just make sure you don't end up posting a thread about paying someone to help you get ahead :)

they were taking down 2 giant elms in our neighborhood yesterday, and for a brief moment I thought about asking them what they were doing with the wood... then I looked up and saw the pile i was working on that I have been complaining about and decided against it...

And it was elm!

And it was elm!

yeah, it was around 38" round too.... 2 of them! It took them all day, 2 dump trucks, and 2 10 yard dumps of chip trucks too! I have 8 or 9 standing dead elm that are coming down in the next couple of weeks, so I figure i made a good call.... of course, it is supposed to snow tonight, so my pile that i meant to stack yesterday may be buried for a couple of days :)

These round, short, dead, clean, (no knots or elbows), beauties await the scroungemobile.
1000 N etc 013.JPG 1000 N etc 014.JPG 1000 N etc 015.JPG
1000 N etc 016.JPG
No, they aren't in plain sight for a reason. Besides the ditch, I rolled most of the good stuff away from easy view
of the road. Plus, the property owner said I was the only person who ever asked about it. LOL This stuff is all
over around here now that I know what signs to look for. I keep wanting to bring it home but the mess on site has
to come first.

e3b4c06c2e2993425e1c8865a31f0dc8.jpg

That's it! With today's score, I am banned from further scrounging.

Chucked out the following as they were fairly rotted out several of them have few carpenter ants crawling around.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
3459fc7bcc238cfae5de84d57f2b3707.jpg

"That's it! With today's score, I am banned from further scrounging."

Same here with the growing piled messes! LOL Country living the last 5 yrs hasn't erased
the 45 years of city living. "grab it while ya can", especially when the rich neighbor tosses a
pair of matching end tables type mentality.

This wood is just sitting there untouched. Weird. Something of value laying there over a year?
It's likely I'll set up the other 4X8 pallet and start stocking it. LOL It almost hurts driving past
and NOT grabbing a few every pass. I can harvest it with no major time investment over the course of a week.

PS. I keep the stuff you tossed to the firepit. Those are stored far from the house and go straight
into the firebox. By the time those frozen bugs wake up they are already being warmed by cremation.
1000 N etc 011.JPG
This pine/ ash combo is mine too. It's bigger pieces, thus safer so it comes home last.

Last edited:
"That's it! With today's score, I am banned from further scrounging."

Same here with the growing piled messes! LOL Country living the last 5 yrs hasn't erased
the 45 years of city living. "grab it while ya can", especially when the rich neighbor tosses a
pair of matching end tables type mentality.

This wood is just sitting there untouched. Weird. Something of value laying there over a year?
It's likely I'll set up the other 4X8 pallet and start stocking it. LOL It almost hurts driving past
and NOT grabbing a few every pass. I can harvest it with no major time investment over the course of a week.

PS. I keep the stuff you tossed to the firepit. Those are stored far from the house and go straight
into the firebox. By the time those frozen bugs wake up they are already being warmed by cremation.
So.....true when I see "25 to 30 oak rounds 2 years cut that he wants out of his back yard.". I told her, it's only 20 mins from here, she didn't even let me finish my sentence....NO! I m also banned from checking Craigslist, haha.

5 wood 001.JPG
Hadda bring home a quick dozen and get 'em palletized immediately. LOL
It's good fuel, free, we'll need it, and put away as soon as I parked.
(That was my justification.)
The 2nd mega pallet is now down and leveled for immediate moving of the semicircle
that's been growing. Ignore the high-tech swimming pool drying/ protection cover.
5 wood 004.JPG
Things were clogging up fast. Gotta finish that shoulder rehab. I miss doing this !!!!

image.jpeg
The scrounge sedan (tm) strikes again. Beech, locust and cherry. This is two trips though.

The scrounge sedan (tm) strikes again. Beech, locust and cherry. This is two trips though.

Got the variety pack I see. Looks like some locust in there which is pretty good stuff.

In my case, scroungewagon was not deployed as the mini-score is about 50 ft across the street from my driveway. Neighbor's oak trees are getting pruned. I don't really have to split the 4" diameter logs as they would fit in my century insert, but.....they will season faster. Even with steel toe boots and wide stance, I m not taking any chances. I tried the youtube Russian method laying the log down and aim at the corner and let gravity take its course:

Boy, it works great! Green wood or not, all got splitted.....safely.

567426665d560fc568ea278318ff7eb0.jpg
518f68ae61403a7713bba09946221e3e.jpg

Last edited:
In my case, scroungewagon was not deployed as the mini-score is about 50 ft across the street from my driveway. Neighbor's oak trees are getting pruned. I don't really have to split the 4" diameter logs as they would fit in my century insert, but.....they will season faster. Even with steel toe boots and wide stance, I m not taking any chances. I tried the youtube Russian method laying the log down and aim at the corner and let gravity take its course:

Boy, it works great! Green wood or not, all got splitted.....safely.

View attachment 185324
View attachment 185325

This is what I'm liking about this site... Never would've thought about that but I'll give it a try next time I'm splitting and who knows, maybe it'll be awesome.

/Hijack