Today's Scrounge--post the free btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
wood id 001.JPG wood id 004.JPG wood id 002.JPG
The ash is obvious of course but I can't nail down the other two either.
Lower left in the left pic has me curious. There's a fair amount around.
It's light and burns fast. The dark stuff was crazy heavy.

Looks like smattering of goodies. see some ash.
Top few rounds with tight bark, yellow ends look like mulberry, especially if the heartwood turned purple after a while.
Top far right with orange end may be Osage.
Deep fissured bark, light sap ring, darker heart looks like oak. Prob white.
Gray bark softwood may be young basswood.

Reactions: D8Chumley
IMG_0419.JPG

My neighbor has 3 similar sized trees down, 2 huge Oak in addition to this hickory. It's kind of hard to appreciate the size without a reference, but the base of the large vertical branch has a 2.5 foot diameter. I cut on this for 3 hours and have only about half of the branches cut up. I have some work to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Tom123
ASP 001.JPG ASP 005.JPG With the splitter on site now... Let the madness begin!
...............................................................................................................................Those two 4X8 pallets are going to get shredded first.
That's what two packages of doughnuts and a couple of 2 litres buys.
They were stacking more for me today !! There's more now than I can bring home
in a reasonable amount of time. These rounds can wait. Brand new and clean.
Too green for this season so they go to the end of the line for the splitter. The mess
is already getting smaller and much more organized. Got 12C here. That's almost 3 years !

Last edited:
nice work! i'm still at around 5-6 cord, plan on splitting what I have left this week. Then i can go back to looking for more!

I got a couple hours of free time today so I loaded the saw and equipment into the truck and went back to the power lines. I finished up on the red oak log I worked on last time. I also got a few rounds of soft maple. I looked around a bit and found a white oak log in with the maple, I cut a few rounds and that will be the priority next time I go. 0900c1e6d69d77ce6f9c9bec31b7fbda.jpg8f03c63da2f49b206f8c07251702f345.jpg

we spent quite a bit of time on thursday morning and friday cleaning up the stuff that needed to be split... Saturday morning I went and picked up another load of reasonably cut pieces of elm... i didn't get a picture, but i swear it happened! There were a few pieces that were a little long, but they didn't make me take the kindling and brush, so that was helpful! i did find 1 or 2 little pieces of willow that were tossed in the pile, but I wasn't going to be the guy who left 2 pieces of wood out of the whole pile.

I had originally told the person that I was going to be out there on friday, then with the holiday I flaked. I called and talked to her, and she let me reschedule for saturday. when i got out there, she said "if you had texted, i probably would have said 'screw you', but since you called I knew you were sincere". She then offered to have me come out and cut down a few more elm on her property that were dead, so I may do that in the spring for her. Its a 3 minute drive from my office, so its not like it will be a huge hassle!

this is literally around the corner from my house today (it has actually been sitting out there, but there was no free sign, so I didn't take it, and the neighbors were never around)... and of course i'm getting snow tires put on so I don't have a car to get home....
00K0K_81LXs5nLfgw_600x450.jpg

as my wife said, we have been hoarding, so if it was meant to be, it will be there when I get back.

well, i got the call that the tires had been swapped, headed home, and sure enough, 6 of the pieces were still there. I ended up loading 5 into the truck, and the 6th was too heavy for me to lift by myself so....

i left the truck where it was, rolled it down the street, and went back to get the truck! the looks I got from the guy walking his dog should have been photographed....

The rounds on the right were the scrounge from saturday that didn't need to be cut down.
20161128_131230.jpg

Township trimmed up the honey locust branch leaning over the town hall building. Just a couple miles from me. Called they said yes so I grabbed it. 5-7 overnights there and well worth the time. That's the start of my winter time stack that will be split and moved to replace what's burned this year in spring. hoping to add a lot more soon. IMG_20161208_075833710.jpg

Today was maple, locust, and a few big pine rounds.

I might try and go back tomorrow for more big locust

Attachments

• 20161214_163804.jpg
    20161214_163804.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 193
Reactions: Lone_Gun
Good luck bustin' up that monster pine in the way-back.
(I'da grabbed it too temporarily having a splitter.)

I'm about to return the thing as the shoulder is doing well, and nearly all my gnarly stuff is
out of the way. The rest flies apart in this sub freezing weather.
wood 001.JPG
The stuff on the pallets breaks up well. The gnarly pile is 2/3 stoved by now.
Getting so far ahead that I'm only collecting clean drops. Not being spoiled, if I had to,
everything "wood" be fair game to warm my peeps.

Excellent hit, btw !!
Didja notice the two of us and Faithful being on this thread the mostest? lol

Wayne, Nice work! Looks like a good month of free 24/7 cooking there all in one bang!

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneN
Good luck bustin' up that monster pine in the way-back.
(I'da grabbed it too temporarily having a splitter.)

i wouldn't have thought of grabbing it if I didn't have the splitter. i was going to get some of the smaller stuff, but I figure there aren't a ton of people picking up free wood that have a splitter, so it was only fair I take a few bigger pieces :)

i just filled my truck with locust again last night, and there may be another load coming this afternoon....

over the last couple of days i scored a little less than a cord of locust. there might be more over there, but i haven't done a drive-by. I might try and swing by there. I still need to bust out the saw and clear up some of this bigger stuff (most of the logs i brought home over the weekend were 4', so i need to cut those down).

Took a churchbud a load tonight and naturally made the scroungemobile steer it's way past
the pallet factory and hit the motherlode! It disappears fast this time of year so I was shocked to
see my very favorite, the "lego bricks" still there under a camo of snow hiding the goodies for my
family to enjoy.
pips n' lego wood 008.JPG pips n' lego wood 008.JPG pips n' lego wood 003.JPG
The missing section from the right side of the scroungemobile is the group taken into the foyer in the right pic.
The stuff is dense 3X5's and oak from the smell. The small stuff gets the hatchet touch to make wonderful kindle.
003.JPG Twinnies n' pips Dec, 16 003.JPG Twinnies n' pips Dec, 16 007.JPG
Having had internet over 15 years I learned to post pics on this site so it's kinda fun still! Made a lil' wall for the legos to
dry out a bit, the hearth, unfinished backing due to running out of extra cash, and Dozer doing what he does best, dozing
and the keeper/ guardian of the stove. The guy gets so hot he goes out to pee and then naps in the snow too with that
monster thick coat.
Yes I'm ready for the fallout. I put crap on the hearth to warm or dry it. Only when home of course but it happens and is
a great way to dry my wet dead scrounge before tossing it in the pigbelly. Great shoewarmer too !!

this was my scrounge from the other day....
20161221_082516.jpg

top right log is 14" dia x 4'. there is another pile like that on the other side buried in snow...

Cold snap aftermath 003.JPG
The wood wall got DECIMATED during the cold snap recently and successfully endured !

Easily replaceable with the 4X8 pallets still loaded full as I've been using the splitter on the uglies that have
accumulated. Nice to have the thing here but don't want the responsibility of replacing the motor that smokes just a bit
too much. The valve guides are worn, so it runs fine but is wearing out the internals. I'm just keeping the oil level
constant, bustin' the uglies and getting it back to churchbud asap. The pallets are my clean stuff that the Fiskie flies right thru,
and there's literally tons of it.

Cheap n' still warm

Hmmm I think I see maybe bicycle powered hydro's?

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Ken, It would give my teenagers somethin' to do, and mama always wants to shed an lb here n' there.

Luckily for my health, she doesn't browse this site often.