Today's Scrounge--post the free btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you guys ever just drive up to someone's house and ask if you can take care of some of their downed trees? There are a TON of trees in people's yards on my way to work...very tempting to go ring a doorbell or two.
I have several times back when I was selling wood. A lot of people just don't want to deal with it or pay to have it done.

Doesn't look quite like walnut, which the bark crossection should be chocolate and the bark more furrowed. Looks like red elm, also known as slippery elm. You can see the slime seeping out the red cambien. Bark is also layered if you look close, same as American elm.

Ranger,
"Bangin' on doors" is my #1 supplier.
Spent literally hours splitting today in a tank top in January this beautiful near record high afternoon!
Almost 60 degrees n' sunny. Had the house opened up to change the air, full shut down for ash cleanout
and recementing a few cracks, enjoying a huge coffee n' worship tunes, etc. Life was good today @ Cheap Acres.
Back to being a workin' man Monday so life is REAL good !! !! !!
Ye-Hah,
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

I get to keep all this poplar from the neighbors house. No fun cutting it in rain and 40 degrees. It's poplar but oh well it burns

0d4f3d8421541d496515feabebf5c64f.jpg
0851282c15d8dd30dc26bd54e23432dc.jpg
4b68a87c67060793c862102f425b6c4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_9728.JPG
found an ad last week for a whole $h*t Load of Eucalyptus. I don't have a trailer so I am kicking myself in the butt cause I only got away with about a pickup truck full...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rangerbait
mmmmmm tasty.

I don't do any scrounging. I got enough wood laying around already cut to length. Needs splitting and stacking.
I did do some donating of wood to the neighbor. Just to get it out of the way.
All was shag bark hickory, ironwood, sugar maple and some red oak.
I figure it was good Karma to give it to neighbor.

I guess that makes the scroungee? or did I descrounge some wood?
not sure.

Reactions: jatoxico
My first real scrounge.. town cut up a fallen tree thanks to the nor'easter and left it. Stove size pieces! Woo hoo

Ash I think? But I'm having a hard time seeing the X or diamonds in the bark... I do see the EAB damage though...

d3d6f9620d02d2120727f8dc9ca0a713.jpgb2d047292b601eac0298b98c93f49967.jpg80a40da6dfd4a75c79a7ddcbb3d042d2.jpgfe8d0d7cbd6efc574f278351d4a57044.jpg

Think that's a white oak variety. I can't see any rays in the end, but the cut makes it hard to really see any detail. Grain, bark and sapwood look very much like oak. A borer has deff been in the tree, similar to EAB, but there are lots of diff species that affect other trees.

Think that's a white oak variety. I can't see any rays in the end, but the cut makes it hard to really see any detail. Grain, bark and sapwood look very much like oak. A borer has deff been in the tree, similar to EAB, but there are lots of diff species that affect other trees.

Interesting, thanks. I saw the borer trail and got fixated on Ash. More than happy for it to be oak!

Post #159,
That's the best kind of hit!
a week or more of 24/7 cookin' all for the trouble of bringing it home and busting it up.
Split on, Wayne, split on, Garth.

Reactions: liquidskin
A buddy from work has a 250 acre ranch, and had some piles of wood that he wants gone. This is what I grabbed in about an hour this morning, and there's probably enough there to keep me in hardwoods for the next 10 years!

533fc3c35724ddfb7b31cf7f4f60cc6f.jpg

f05360809cf20a9f8feb7ed4ded49e95.jpg

c40215ad2e6fe52d21a455a27a4f4a77.jpg

That stuff that's yellow in the middle...is that locust?

Gotta nuther tire squishing load of red from the illegal dump by my mom's.
It's a construction site for a new shopping center, and the owner was my dad's (rip) buddy.
He wants it off his property, and was bucked stove sized before being dumped at the construction
location.
.....Mom is so glad I'm visiting with her so often this winter. LOLOLOL

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Last edited:
Another full truck/trailer load. Got the rest of the red oak off my client's prop and about half the shagbark hickory. Don't know if I'll go back for the rest of the hickory. Rounds r big, so I have to quarter them, which since they're already drying was a freakin chore. Place is about 40 min away and I got a field half mile from my house that's got cherry, ash, bitternut, and hedge to get if it ever freezes. Very thankful for the provision.
IMG_20170129_211712315.jpg
IMG_20170129_211754389.jpg

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
Update:
After destroying a good half of the wood wall been bringin' it home from some of my permissioned
properties. Glad there's plenty of nice folk up here who don't stove and aren't trying to make a buck off
of those who are stovers. They just want it gone.
scrounge update 001.JPG scrounge update 003.JPG scrounge update 004.JPG
scrounge update 009.JPG scrounge update 015.JPG scrounge update 006.JPG
Pic 1: Pine n' red mess from autumn
#2: 1/2 of the tire squisher red brought home yesterday. The rest is S/S'ed.
#3: Brung home some ash n' pine on the way home from church.
#4: Refilling the wood wall and the redneck truck cap/ woodshed still under construction. (cost- zero)
#5: Full view of what's currently on site and restocking the 120 ft. wall.
#6: Mostly red brought home before the last snow.
Bicycles galore of course cuz I have kids and a broken garage door spring.
The motorcycle is out too (KLR 650 post Apocolypse transpo lol)
Tailgate hinge bolt broke so NOBODY tailgates me bringin' home wood fuel.
Got all of this winter and next winter here.
Much more awaits........... As said, lotsa nice folk in this area.
80% red, ash, and maple/ 20% pine,poplar, balsa-like fast n' hot stuff, and a few oddball walnut, hickory, cherry, apple,
and assorted roadkill.
Still haven't used a saw yet. LOLOL

Attachments

• scrounge update 010.JPG
    scrounge update 010.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 146
Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Glad there's plenty of nice folk up here who don't stove and aren't trying to make a buck off
of those who are stovers.
Yes. I'm in the same boat........refilling shed for the next couple months of burning and stocking up a pile for splitting and then later dragging down to the drying stacks. The only thing I enjoy about winter weather is doing this.

i got a trailer full of maple, aspen and cherry yesterday. there was a lot of brush with it, but it is a few days worth of wood (about 1/4 cord). I spend an hour with the saw the other day and got just about everything I had cut down to length. Now its time to get back to splitting!

Welcome. Looks like red oak.....That's a sweet haul.

Scrounged up a couple of truck loads from behind a friends house after a tornado went through a few months back.

Attachments

• IMG_2360.JPG
    IMG_2360.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: CheapBassTurd