Today's Scrounge - Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally got around to splitting this stuff today. I don't see any rays on the splits on the suspected Chestnut Oak and the interior is kinda yellowy. It split nice and easy with very straight splits. Whatever it is, it was free, outside of my time and effort, so I'm happy either way.
Sorry for the shadows on the photos, I didn't realize it at the time.
IMG_5350.jpg

IMG_5352.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

Today's c/s/s of the loads above.

IMG_5353.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Omaha419
Looks like tulip poplar
Yeah, split face sure does. Bark in the original pics didn't look right for Tulip, and I don't remember the inner bark being that orange. Then again I haven't cut all that much Tulip, just a few smaller, dead ones for kindling. Maybe on the dead ones the orange has faded?
Looks to be about a cord there, and a good mix of woods. Good work! :cool:

Well at least that's settled. Thanks!

It kinda looks like cottonwood/true poplar to me...!!!!!!!!!
That bark really threw me off. Our tulips usually don't get that narly of bark until they are big, 24"+.

BTUS is BTUs. Good load of wood for the price.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I MM test split a few of these today. All 15% at 8 months. I'm sold on Tulip poplar. No way Oak dries that fast. Plus no rays to be seen, which usually stand out pretty good at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.