Today's Scrounge / Wood ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedyOH

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2015
NE Ohio
I think it's Hornbeam, can anyone verify? There's not much around me and these were on the ground, dead for quite a while so no leaves, the little MS160's bar was bouncing during the bigger cuts, (I put a brand new chain on), distinct smell although I can quite describe it. Anyway, was bored and it was cool enough to run the saw today. Pretty tough to split with the fiskars, not stringy just tough. Whatever it is it's good to go.

Thanks.

w1.jpg w2.jpg w3.jpg w4.jpg

Bark looks right for hornbeam . . . but a) I do better at leaf identification and b) I haven't id-ed a lot of hornbeam in the past so I could be way off here.

Never seen any but we're supposed to be in its range, but how about Eastern Hophornbeam aka Ironwood? I might guess some sort of Hickory based on the darker heartwood but you said it had been dead on the ground for a while, and I don't think Hickory is that durable. That stuff looks to be in good shape, and it's plenty dry. My book says Hornbeam has smooth bark.

Last edited:
I have some of those (based on bark) growing at the top of my creek ridge. Wondered what they are, but never really checked. I'll see if I can get a leaf ID this afternoon.

Reactions: Woody Stover
but how about Eastern Hophornbeam aka Ironwood
Yes it very well could be.....

My book says Hornbeam has smooth bark.
Yes I noticed after a lot of googling, Ironwood, hophornbeam, blue beech, muscle wood, is all kinda lumped together under the same name.

I found Ohio's forestry web site, they are calling it "American Hophornbeam", the bark is a dead ringer. Regardless it's dense and should be a good, hot burner...I'm going to be paying more attention for this bark for sure.

http://forestry.ohiodnr.gov/hophornbeam

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Sweet. Keep us posted on how it burns. Mine are all living. Any idea why it died?

Bark looks like hornbeam but interior reminds me more of hickory. When splitting it, did you get any match book size splinters coming off or was it a fairly clean split? Clean split I am going with Hornbeam, splinters I am going with hickory.

I'm going to be paying more attention for this bark for sure.
Right. I'm thinking there may well be some around here, too. I may have seen the bark and wrote it off as some kind of Hickory, or seen the leaves and thought it was Red Elm. I will be keeping my eyes peeled for sure.
Bark looks like hornbeam
What I'm seeing says Hornbeam has smooth bark, similar to Beech. Eastern Hop bark looks like a closer match. Hornbeam is also supposed to be a scrubby tree and Hop is supposed to get a bit taller, up to 50'.

Last edited:
Sweet. Keep us posted on how it burns. Mine are all living. Any idea why it died?
Will do, gonna let it sit 'till Jan/Feb I suppose. I notice some slight borer damage, nothing like EAB damage though....
When splitting it, did you get any match book size splinters coming off or was it a fairly clean split? Clean split I am going with Hornbeam, splinters I am going with hickory.
Very clean splits, although the rounds were only 10-12" dia, and very straight, no branches, it still took more than 1 swing to pop them in half.....I think hickory that's been dead this long, even standing, would be rotted by now.....I'll snap a pic of the stump later today or tomorrow, going to hunt for more dead or standing, standing to get a leaf ID.....from looking at the stump it looks like it's been down for 20 years.....no roots left on it at all.

Ironwood burns like coal! You will love it

I think we have a winner via leaf ID, found a 6 smaller ones about 75 yards away....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

And the survey says?????

Have to post first then edit the post to add a pic via Tapatalk. ....pic added above, eastern / American hophornbeam....another blow over and good size live one, more here than i thought! ae872e578a3337bf4777b246a95d8e2b.jpg

29022b54198c584e30f323401131401c.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Burns awesome and coals great. When I find one, I'll cut smaller diameters just because I get so much more heat than anything else, making it worth it to have a pile of 2" sticks around. I think it gives about 20-25% more BTUs than oak.

Also, I believe I read that they don't live terribly long, so they don't get huge, and when they die, they tend to resist rot pretty well. What I've found has all been dry or nearly dry. My guess is they dry standing until the base eventually rots.

For me, this is my 30 below wood. I won't burn it unless the stove really needs an extra kick. Maybe I'd think differently if I had more on hand. For now, I have about 20 cubic feet.

Reactions: TedyOH
with my little scrounge today I have a little less than that.........looking forward to trying it out.....also I counted 40 growth rings from center on a 4.25" diameter piece.....slow grower for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.