Today's scrounge......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snigg

Apr 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
Last week I saw a crew cutting alongside the highway, and got permission from them to grab what they were leaving. On my way home from work today I saw the same crew and grabbed a couple pieces. I didn't have time to really load up, and I'm starting to run out of room in the yard.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 98
Looks good. Have fun splitting those buggers.

That one with the sapwood darker than the heart reminds me of Black Cherry but the bark doesn't...
No clue what the stuff on the right is, with the dark center...any idea?

Take it from me, if you see those guys again, a cup of coffee or even a pack of smokes goes a long way. It has for me. i get leads all the time from those guys. Great resource to know.

Nice score. It's BTUs.
Type is tough to tell.
Some locust , elm, walnut
not sure what the dead stuff is ?

I think the stuff on the right is mulberry, the big one looks like it might be Norway Maple, with white wood and a dark center. The bark doesn't look quite right but I can't get a good look at the bark. I think the dead stuff is maple.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I stopped today and got another load, the guys had moved down the road a bit. I definitely need to drop off a couple pizzas or something.

Attachments

• wood1.jpg
    wood1.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 102
Status
Not open for further replies.