Today's scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZ Tom

Burning Hunk
Feb 3, 2014
SL,UT
www.garnerfoto.com
w0001photo.JPG w0002photo.JPG Saw these logs at my wife's work some time ago when I dropped her off one morning. She said maintenance dept saved them for us. Finally had time and help to go back and get it. Two truckloads today. Going back for more maybe next week. Sprained my finger getting one of these loaded.

Attachments

• w0001photo.JPG
    w0001photo.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 130
  • w0002photo.JPG
    w0002photo.JPG
    263.7 KB · Views: 121
:cool:

Nice haul. Do you know what kind?

Bark looks like black walnut in this area.

Nice haul. Do you know what kind?

I have no clue. Taking a wild guess... FIRE wood.

Here's a closer view of the end and a split. Maybe somebody can ID. The end was wet with snow giving a darker color

.w0004photo.JPG

w0005photo.JPG

Reactions: D8Chumley
Welcome to the forum Tom.

Looks like that has been cut for a while. Now get it cut to length and split and you should be able to burn that next year.

+1 on the walnut, nice rings.

Walnut. Looks like some heartwood there. That will burn nice.

I'd like to bet anyone that thinks that is walnut...........because it is most DEFINATELY not!

Well throw some odds out there. ;lol

Reactions: Dix
Nford's onto it. Definitely not walnut. At first look - I said American elm based on the alternating light/dark bands seen on the cross-section of bark. I haven't seen Siberian elm - so perhaps that species has the same pattern - Siberian elm or American elm - not walnut. Cheers!

Nford's onto it. Definitely not walnut. At first look - I said American elm based on the alternating light/dark bands seen on the cross-section of bark. I haven't seen Siberian elm - so perhaps that species has the same pattern - Siberian elm or American elm - not walnut. Cheers!

As I've learned doing my own research, definitely elm. The bark cross-section has alternate brown and beige layers - a feature distinctive to elms.

Thank you for the "welcome to the forum" Backwoods Savage. I've been lurking here for a while, and learning a ton. Been doing just about everything wrong.
Thanks to everyone for playing name that wood. Great fun. Maybe I'll photo some other splits in my stack.

Without a doubt. Elm. Leaning heavily on Siberian. American red elm it is not. Split Siberian few hours back. Split some red few weeks back. American is the easier or the two. YMMV.

If your splitting by hand don't be surprised to see something similar. Split by a buddy with an 8lb. Maul and fiskars SS.

Last edited:
If your splitting by hand don't be surprised to see something similar. Split by a buddy with an 8lb. Maul and fiskars SS.

You buddy needs to sharpen his aim a bit and the wood will split a lot easier.

You buddy needs to sharpen his aim a bit and the wood will split a lot easier.
First round he has ever split. The only way that round woulda been less mangled by maul/axe would be to slab it. Long story short he had the determination to "cut" into 1/4's. You can also see where multiple hits are all within half inch or less. I say he did fine for what he wanted to do.

+1 for siberan elm. The bark is the give away. That stuff heads to the hydrolic splitter...

Status
Not open for further replies.