Today's Srounge (ID Please)!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacktheknife

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2012
Lakota, Iowa
Just got back from the county seat tree dump and only brought back two kinds of wood-- some small bits of mulberry (yay) and mostly this mystery wood, which I think is some type of maple.

image.jpg image.jpg

I hafta see leaves but that sure looks like the maple I got the other day....

Looks like siver maple

Reactions: chvymn99 and ScotO
Soft Maple for sure.

silver maple, without a doubt. Great shoulder season or mixed load wood...seasons fast, burns hot.

Reactions: Defiant
Would that be soft maple aka red maple or soft maple as in any softwood maple?
All maple is a "hardwood" Sugar Maple is known as Hard Maple in the Lumber biz. Red or Silver Maple is known as "Soft Maple". while some species are softer than others all deciduous trees are considered hardwoods.

silver maple, without a doubt. Great shoulder season or mixed load wood...seasons fast, burns hot.

Good to hear, I have one in my yard coming down in about a month.

All maple is a "hardwood" Sugar Maple is known as Hard Maple in the Lumber biz. Red or Silver Maple is known as "Soft Maple". while some species are softer than others all deciduous trees are considered hardwoods.

Glad you got my jist, and thanks for setting me straight on the lingo.

Good to hear, I have one in my yard coming down in about a month.

Glad you got my jist, and thanks for setting me straight on the lingo.
Its all good and it all burns.....

Status
Not open for further replies.