Today's Wood Cuttin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Like the rerun of a good TV show, here's more wood cutting pictures, from today.

Cut and ready for a good pounding from my 6# maul:
IMG_3985.jpg

I split it right where it lays after I cut it up. No need to move any rounds, just the lighter splits:
IMG_3989.jpg

As I work up the tree of rounds, I toss the splits next to my wagon and continue on. I don't handle the firewood any more than I have to:
IMG_3991.jpg

Here it is loaded and ready for transport out of the woods:
IMG_3992.jpg

Here it is at the wood museum. At this point it will remain on display there for up to 5 years (or less), depending upon how much I allow to be purchased between now and the time I get back around to this part of the stack:
IMG_3996.jpg

"Wood Museum" I like that.

Must be nice to be able to work that way. Being a scrounger, I have never been able to split where I find the stuff. Must be nice to work off your own land.

Man Quads, you take great pictures, you have a nice ATV, you have a nice splitting maul, you have a sweet trailer, you have 500 acres, and a hell of a lot of split wood.....
Is there anything you can't do well :)
Maybe you should give tours and lessons on "How to do it right with Wood Burning" ;-)

Thanks guys! It's not always roses, but I can certainly think of worse ways to live.

Excellent pics quads...I always enjoy your picture threads. Keep up the good work.

Man,
I feel like a frakin' junkie. Always waiting for the next pic thread to start.
Where's the "monkey on my back" smiley?
5 years? I'm workin' on it! Right there with ya', .........just as soon as I get about 3 more years cut and split.
How's that old song go?
"Welcome back, my friends, to the show that never ends
We're so glad you could attend, come inside, come inside.
There behind the glass, stands a real blade of grass (split of wood)
Be careful as you pass,.move along, move along"
Dave

Hey, I love that song! Emerson, Lake & Palmer, I've got it on a cassette tape somewhere around here.

Right now I'm doing laundry and fighting with the tax assessor, but if I get time later I might go out and cut awhile. Never know, could get a couple more pictures!

Super pics. But I'm looking for another video, Quads! Maybe a little panoramic view of the cutting area. I see in the first two pics that there is a lot of sun hitting the ground, and no more mature trees in the view. Was this area cut recently? Back at the 4 wheeler and at the wood pile I see mature trees.
I'm cutting a bit on my own property - but I've got mostly re-growth, 2"-6" butts.
Are you selling most of your wood?

Well, it would take more than one video to cover my cutting area. The main area I cut is 80 acres, but I have about 500 that I can cut anywhere on. These picture were taken on the northwest edge of one clearing where the tornado hit hard, then the loggers cleaning up after the tornado, then some oak wilt and dead standing oak now. The clearing near where these pictures were taken is probably 3 acres in size. You have a very good eye!

I sell a little wood and I also give some away to friends, neighbors, and relatives. The rest of it I keep and eventually burn myself, either in the stove or the firepit.

There will be another video or two in my Splitting Wood thread tonight, but now I have to milk the cows first.

P.S.
The wood pile is actually in my yard, almost a mile from where I was cutting.

Here's the panorama maplewood. I took this while standing on the spot where I had the wood cut up in the pictures above:

Is a few more pictures OK? :red:
I was digging through my old pictures and here's a few aerial photos of part of my cutting area. These cover most of my main cutting area (about 80 acres) and were taken the day after the storm that started all of my woodpiles, in 2004. In the pictures, hard to see it because they are still green, but many trees are broken, uprooted, or otherwise damaged. Mostly across the whole piece of property, especially in the middle. The funnel was 1/2 mile wide, but pretty weak as far as tornadoes go. Winds of only 100 mph or so for the most part:
15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

17.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.