Today's Work with PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
I own a couple rental houses. I've been wanting to cut the photinia tree at one of my rentals for a few years. It is just too close to the house. I have to keep trimming it back, and I'm tired of trimming it. Today was the day. The tree is an evergreen leaf type tree, and has massive flowers and bees in the growing season. It was just a nuisance.

Has anyone ever burned photinia? I got 79 pieces of firewood from the tree. I will need to split a few of them, but most I will not, because of the small diameter. I guess I will report back in two years how good the wood is.

Attachments

• DSCN2394.jpg
    DSCN2394.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCN2395.jpg
    DSCN2395.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 534
  • DSCN2399.jpg
    DSCN2399.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 535
Can't help with that one as I have never heard of it. I am sure though it will burn and like you say you'll know in a couple years.

Had never even heard of the tree but a google search turned up the common name of red chokeberry or California Holly. It is also in the rose family along with apple, pears and cherry. Looking at the wood it reminds me of cherry. I bet it will burn great.

That's a wood not native to my area, to the best of my knowledge. Keep us updated down the road when it seasons as to how it burns.

That's a wood not native to my area, to the best of my knowledge. Keep us updated down the road when it seasons as to how it burns.

As promised, I would keep you updated how the photinia wood burns. I give it an A+++! I seasoned it 3 years, and it burns hot, hot, hot! Photinia has great coaling properties, burns HOT and LONG, and has a nice flame, even when the woodstove is dampered way down. The only issue I had with it, is that it's a lot of work for not a lot of wood. Because I moved twice since I cut it, I have had to haul this wood all over Oregon.

Oh, by the way, GO OREGON DUCKS! If the players can keep off the recreational marijuana, we might have a chance at the national championship. :eek: I've heard 2 Oregon Duck players are disqualified from the national championship because of marijuana in their system. It's not time to party before the game.

Reactions: planner steve
Hey, wait, you said you would report back in 2 years....
It's been almost THREE!

I've been sitting here waiting all this time.

;lol

Is that u overkill?

Status
Not open for further replies.