Tomorrow: Cutting a mess in the jungle, in full color panorama!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Here are my targets for tomorrow's cutting, two trees that grew together. Once they died, it opened up the sunlight for the little white pines to grow. Now the double tree has tipped over and it's time for me to cut it up.

Pic one is the overall scene:
STA_0027%20(1280x366).jpg

Pic two is a closeup (saw laying under trees for perspective):
IMG_0025%20(800x600).jpg

I will start by cutting the upper tree off about three or four feet from the butt, after I trim a few of the white pine branches out of the way. That will give me plenty of room to back up as needed. Once that tree is on the ground, then I will cut the lower one. Hardest part is going to be having room to split and then getting the wood out of there.

On another note, this afternoon I cut the old handle off of my maul and put a new one on. It was getting loose enough that I could feel a slight movement when swinging it, and I didn't like that. Kept thinking I was hitting overhead branches with it. Got a stiff neck from looking up all the time! I almost couldn’t bear to cut it off with my eyes open, that handle has been on it for over 25 years and the maul is one of my most prized possessions, but I had to open my eyes to keep from cutting my fingers off with the hacksaw. The old handle was fiberglass, the new one is a wooden. I don’t know if it’s hickory or ash or what, just said hardwood on the sticker but that could mean anything. It also is a curved handle, not straight. I hope it works as good as the old one and lasts half as long. If not, I’ll cut it off and buy another until I find one I like as well as the old one.

Sounds good to me quads. Happy cutting.

I also know what you mean about those old handles. You get used to one particular handle and when you have to change it seems something great has been lost. I hope you like the new one. btw, do you treat your wooden handles with linseed oil?

Looks like someone left a Stihl chainsaw under that tree!!
Good luck with the new handle!

Quads -

Nice pano! Don't go twisting an ankle walking around in that stuff.

shari

Those are some good sized trees. Do you cut wood all winter? I enjoy your pics.

Thanks!

Cal, yes I do cut wood all winter, unless the snow is too deep to get out there.

Dennis, other than my hammer handles (which are treated often with oil and grease!), I don't use any of my old wooden handled axes anymore and have never treated them with oil. This new handle almost seems like it has some sort of varnish on it, which I hope won't be too slippery. I don't know if I will end up treating it with oil eventually or not. I guess it depends on how much I like the handle. Today is the day I will be taking the first swing with it, and if it I don't like it, tomorrow I will be cutting it off and putting a different one on it! HAHA!

quads said:
... that handle has been on it for over 25 years ...
Don't mess around with the handle, Quads. Contact the manufacturer (can't remember? Just pick one at random), and request a replacement maul for your defective one. This is not a Fiskars - it should last way more than 25 years. (Alright all you Fiskars guys, that was a JOKE, please don't fire up another Fiskars thread :ahhh:). BTW Quads, beautiful place you have there - I love cutting wood surrounded by snow.

willworkforwood said:
quads said:
... that handle has been on it for over 25 years ...
Don't mess around with the handle, Quads. Contact the manufacturer (can't remember? Just pick one at random), and request a replacement maul for your defective one. This is not a Fiskars - it should last way more than 25 years. (Alright all you Fiskars guys, that was a JOKE, please don't fire up another Fiskars thread :ahhh:). BTW Quads, beautiful place you have there - I love cutting wood surrounded by snow.
Ha ha! Actually, the old handle is a Collins and I wouldn't be too surprised if they would replace it. But, after 25 years of swinging it, I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it. I am frugal, so frugal in fact that I squeak, but I'm not a cheapskate. :)

Quads - real nice. Are they dead red oak (couldn't remember from you post)? I love finding good sized, long dead, red oak limbs, etc. Cut in the AM, burn in the PM! Cheers and good luck!

Yes, red oak (or black oak is what they call it around here now).

Status
Not open for further replies.