Tom's 12/27 unpressurized heating systems blog

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I am intrigued by Tom's 5 paragraph tease of the simplicity of an unpressurized system. http://blog.americansolartechnics.com/2011/12/unpressurized-heating-systems.html

A couple basic ?s. I assume you need a non-pressurized boiler or a heat exchanger if you have an unpressurized tank? Are there other unpressurized gasifiers out there other than the Garn? How do you keep the water in the zones above tank level from ending up on the basement floor?

That is what I thought but:

"The beauty of these simple systems is that they only require a pump and do not use a heat exchanger."

OK - I should have read the blog first. That's something I have never seen around here. I would think the zone pump would need to be below water level to avoid loss of prime - although a check might avoid that, long as it remained tight. I'd also be worried about getting water to floor 2, but sounded like that was a non-concern. Non-pressurized also can raise corrosion concerns. I wouldn't mind reading more on it either.

SolarAndWood said:
I am intrigued by Tom's 5 paragraph tease of the simplicity of an unpressurized system. http://blog.americansolartechnics.com/2011/12/unpressurized-heating-systems.html

A couple basic ?s. I assume you need a non-pressurized boiler or a heat exchanger if you have an unpressurized tank? Are there other unpressurized gasifiers out there other than the Garn? How do you keep the water in the zones above tank level from ending up on the basement floor?
I think that once you have water in the line and as long as you have no leaks and the return line is under water that the wt. of the water in the line going up would equal the wt. of the water in the return and all the pump would have to do is circulate. Now if you get a small leak that would allow air to get in than you would have to PUMP water up to the second floor and thru the return to get things working again.
Think syphoning. once you get the liquid flowing the wt of the liquid will keep the flow going.
Alot of OWB.s work this way. The boiler is lower outside and still pump water up into the house.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.