Ton vs individual bag price.. I don't get it!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcable

Jan 24, 2010
Milford, CT
What am I missing here?
My local Home Depot has both Freedom Fuel and Stove Chow. 40lb standard bags. $3.89 per bag or $208.00 if you buy a ton.
That comes out to $4.16 a bag so its more expensive to buy a ton than individual bags. They have had specials where its been $179.00/ton. That comes out to $3.58 per bag. Thats only a .31 cent per bag savings.

Why bother buying a ton? What am I missing here?

Maybe they just don't know simple math or they'd rather have people buy by the bag rather than the ton.

I had this same question last winter at our HD... The lady at the register didn't know any better, so I just told her to ring me up for 51 bags...lol

perchin said:
I had this same question last winter at our HD... The lady at the register didn't know any better, so I just told her to ring me up for 51 bags...lol

Thats priceless haha

The odd part is: I'm pretty sure they don't have a different SKU number for a ton vs a bag. When I purchased from Lowes this fall, they just rang me up for 175 bags instead of 3 1/2 tons.

They didn't even have different numbers for different brands, even though they had at least 5 different brands in stock. So to them "All pellets are the same"

yeah.... I was telling this to my neighboor last year. He said he tried the same, but the gal said that she could not ring up 50 bags as individuals. So then he told me all he did was have his wife go through the lane first for 49 bags and he got rang up for 1 or 2.... really though, its ridiculous to think in this economy that nobody would notice the price gouge.

This is too funny! i just got home from home depot and they had the bags for 3.98 or if you where stupid you could purchase a ton for 269.00.I even tried to point it out to the guy working the area and he told me he just sells them the way they mark them.gl..rmw

SmokeyTheBear said:
Glosta said:
Somebody has to pay for that grade-A wooden pallet that comes with every full ton of wood pellets. :)

LOL grade A you say, haven't seen one yet ;-).
no, no, that isn't always true... I did get a very nice pallet with my Armstrongs. Maybe that's why the cost so much more than this year's Eagle Valley's...LOL The pallet under the Eagle Valleys was not nearly as pretty. Seems almost a crime that I intend to just get the chainsaw and turn them both into firewood for camping come spring.

Until you started talking about ringing up individual bags I thought maybe there was a built in delivery fee for the full pallets??

Haubera said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Glosta said:
Somebody has to pay for that grade-A wooden pallet that comes with every full ton of wood pellets. :)

LOL grade A you say, haven't seen one yet ;-).
no, no, that isn't always true... I did get a very nice pallet with my Armstrongs. Maybe that's why the cost so much more than this year's Eagle Valley's...LOL The pallet under the Eagle Valleys was not nearly as pretty. Seems almost a crime that I intend to just get the chainsaw and turn them both into firewood for camping come spring.

Until you started talking about ringing up individual bags I thought maybe there was a built in delivery fee for the full pallets??

I'm still in the compost making mode with my pallets. I'll have three, three bin setups come next fall. Got the stuff to keep them full as well come early spring and fall, plenty of leaves, etc... I hate having to buy the stuff, rather make it. Got to grow some mutant butternut squash.

Back to the topic at hand the store can't do division, they lost the only calculator that could.

love butternut squash my wife hooks it up..im going to get some of the 3.98 bags of pellets today,ill have to ask the manager about those 70 dollar grade A pallets they store the pellets on while im there.I still cant believe they want 269.00 for the tons ..gl rmw

Its crazy. The skews on both are the same. The price is the same. To think... I almost bought a ton until I did the math and found out its alot cheaper to buy the individual bags.

went to the other home depot down the road 10 miles, had the same deal 3.98 a bag or 269 a ton amazing its company wide stupidity..I hope no one here buys a ton ...gl rmw

sydsdad said:
went to the other home depot down the road 10 miles, had the same deal 3.98 a bag or 269 a ton amazing its company wide stupidity..I hope no one here buys a ton ...gl rmw

Well all pellets are the same .....................................

Status
Not open for further replies.