Tonight will be the coldest this year 5 Degrees F with 20 MPH winds! What will you set your feed rat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

My basement Avalon Astoria install heats our 2k sqft split. To heat it right on a cold night like this I developed this chart.
Right now it is 11 Degrees F outside!! Looks like with 20 MPH winds my heat setting should be 5 out of 6 Wow but that will be COMFY!! LOL

The following chart is a guide for heating the whole house (Split Entry) with the stove installed in the center of the basement with 2 registers with a convection fan and a doorway fan in the doorway to the basement.
Pellet Stove Heat Setting, with the Air Restrictor on 2 and the Convection Fan on 6 (Highest)

Outside_Wind
Temp___Speed
+or-5__+ or - 5
DegF___MPH
v v___5__10_20
0_____4__5__6___Astoria
10____3__4__5___Heat
20____2__3__4___Settings
30____1__2__3___(1-6)

Example1: Early Saturday morning on 01-30-2010, The wind speed was 20 MPH and outside temperature was 4 degrees. the chart says 6 for the heat setting. At that time, we had it set to 5 when we were asleep and 6 when we woke up for more warmth and comfort!!

Example2: 02-07-2010 at 2 pm, the temperature was 27 degrees F, and the Wind Speed was 9 MPH. Therefore, the chart above puts the heat setting between 3 and 2 (slightly closer to 2) We have it set to 3 for comfort although 2 would be adaquate!!

So guys what is your heat setting and how do you know?

Attachments

• AstoriaChart.jpg
    AstoriaChart.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 373
smoke show said:
Don2222 said:

Auto.

Yes Smoke show that Mt Vernon AE has a nice computer control.

How about your 25-PDVC?

Don2222 said:
smoke show said:
Don2222 said:

Auto.

Yes Smoke show that Mt Vernon AE has a nice computer control.

How about your 25-PDVC?

Its in the basement, only gets intermittent use.

Basements completely below grade with no windows so its less affected by temp and wind.

Blower is always on 9 and heat is usually 4 sometimes 5, mode d, bottom three 4-1-1.

Hope that helps...

9-9 here. 16 outside at the moment. Its a shame when the basement is well insulated but the main floors have no insulation in any of the walls.

I can keep it what ever i set the stat to but it freakin munches the pellets like a starving horse in a burnt hay field.

Same here! Stat does the dirty work. But I do cheat in the shoulders with some cheap pellets, So when the cold comes I need to add some heat in the hopper. but other than that its site back and drink beverages while the house is toasty warm.

IHATEPROPANE said:
I had a chart last year...this year a themostat figures it out for me!!

Hi IHATEPROPANE
Do you use Auto On/Off or Auto Hi/Lo and if so what is your heat setting or feed rate?

j-takeman said:
Same here! Stat does the dirty work. But I do cheat in the shoulders with some cheap pellets, So when the cold comes I need to add some heat in the hopper. but other than that its site back and drink beverages while the house is toasty warm.

Hi J
Do you use Hi/Lo and what is your feed rate?

Don2222 said:
j-takeman said:

Hi J
Do you use Hi/Lo and what is your feed rate?

Yes, In the cold I do switch to high/low. Once the day temps drop below 30ºF. Stove is always set at 3 of 5 for heat level. I have only needed level 4 when I had crappy pellets(Inferno's) in the hopper. I adjust my heat setting more with fuel quality than the actual level settings.

It's 19 in Georgia and my stoves are meticulously set to BALLS TO THE WALL!!!! :lol:

Harman Invincible
stove temp 5
feed rate 4 never change this
set it and forget it
(except to add pellets)

Auto with temp set at 72*

ironpony said:
Harman Invincible
stove temp 5
set it and forget it
(except to add pellets)

AAAHHHH...the old workhorse in the Harman line. I love mine. Some days I think it outdoes my P61A.

I'm disappointed it didn't get into negative territory on the thermometer here last night and was a blistering hot 0.3 degrees when I looked before going out to tend the chickens. Still in the single digits and has been since yesterday evening. Stove idled on 2 overnight and I kicked it up to 3 on the way out the door.

Not the coldest of the season, maybe tonight.

My t-stat which I had intended to get hooked up yesterday is still sitting there telling me it is working. Funny, but the crud I'm fighting has put me in my place the last couple of days and the last thing I wanted to do yesterday was go get some wire.

Harman Lover 007 said:
ironpony said:
Harman Invincible
stove temp 5
set it and forget it
(except to add pellets)

AAAHHHH...the old workhorse in the Harman line. I love mine. Some days I think it outdoes my P61A.

bought this one used a few years back
wish I could find another one
it is simple to work on and dont have
alot of bells and whistles
which I like alot

Set the T-stat to 72* and let the furnace do its thing...

Last night I used the Quad. Just let it run all night. 72* this morning. Like clockwork. I love that stove so much. Just wish it had High/Low. Thats the main reason its being replaced.

But for the most part. Just set the t-stat and let the furnace run. Quad dont see much action now. Would if it had High/Low. .

Don2222 said:
Hello

My basement Avalon Astoria install heats our 2k sqft split. To heat it right on a cold night like this I developed this chart.
Right now it is 11 Degrees F outside!! Looks like with 20 MPH winds my heat setting should be 5 out of 6 Wow but that will be COMFY!! LOL

The following chart is a guide for heating the whole house (Split Entry) with the stove installed in the center of the basement with 2 registers with a convection fan and a doorway fan in the doorway to the basement.
Pellet Stove Heat Setting, with the Air Restrictor on 2 and the Convection Fan on 6 (Highest)

Outside_Wind
Temp___Speed
+or-5__+ or - 5
DegF___MPH
v v___5__10_20
0_____4__5__6___Astoria
10____3__4__5___Heat
20____2__3__4___Settings
30____1__2__3___(1-6)

Example1: Early Saturday morning on 01-30-2010, The wind speed was 20 MPH and outside temperature was 4 degrees. the chart says 6 for the heat setting. At that time, we had it set to 5 when we were asleep and 6 when we woke up for more warmth and comfort!!

Example2: 02-07-2010 at 2 pm, the temperature was 27 degrees F, and the Wind Speed was 9 MPH. Therefore, the chart above puts the heat setting between 3 and 2 (slightly closer to 2) We have it set to 3 for comfort although 2 would be adaquate!!

At home, I set the programmable t-stat on the Mt. Vernon in October and it will stay on those settings till May. Whey mess with it?

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.