Too close to house?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
I built this 4 ft. x 4 ft. small rack that sits right outside my back door on the patio for convenience. Regarding insects, do you think it's too close to the house?

Attachments

• IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 621
  • IMG_1457.jpg
    IMG_1457.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 614
Looks good to me, since to are not storing large amounts there I think you are fine. It's only a couple days worth of wood so you really won't be keeping the same wood there long enough to attract unwanted critters and bugs.

The insects might prefer if you paint the wall a lighter shade of pale.
Might also appreciate if you keep the noise down.

Probably won't like being incinerated, either.

:)

Looks good. I have my stacks next to my house, no issues here. Bugs really don't bother me either. The brackets may leave rust lines on the slate and concrete by the end of the winter though. It is nice to have close storage like that. Nice job.

Nice rack!
Bugs shouldn't be a problem with a small rack like that. What's the hole in the middle for?

At this point, maybe. When the temp falls below freezing, good luck to the buggers. I have my weekly supply under my covered porch close to the siding and no problems at all with bugs. Usually don't load up the rack until mid to late Oct.

Heck, in the winter I bring that much in the house sometimes, if the weather forecast is bad. I really only have an occasional bug warm up and crawl out of my wood. I wouldn't worry about that wood on your porch during the winter. I wouldn't necessarily leave it there in the summer.

Bub...kindling. Now I'm starting to think it might have been a waste of time.

Ste...I moved some wood there today because my stacks in the backyard aren't covered as it has been raining here frequently and was doing some break in fires.

I think I'd be more worried about tossing a stick on the pile and having it hit the siding and breaking it. That stuff gets pretty brittle in the winter time.

maple1 said:
I think I'd be more worried about tossing a stick on the pile and having it hit the siding and breaking it. That stuff gets pretty brittle in the winter time.
Good point Maple, I hadn't thought about that, but you are right, most likely WILL happen.

After the wood is seasoned, the bugs are generally found between splits in leaves or bark that accumulates in a large, outdoor stack. With that small wood rack you'll have no trouble shaking off the loose leaves before you stack it and therefore you should have few or no bugs. I store wood on my back porch in the winter with no problems. I agree with whoever said you should be careful about the siding.

Looks good to me . . . although I might take Maple's suggestion and protect the vinyl siding somewhat . . . I also tend to not put a lot of wood up on to my covered porch (similar set up to you) until the weather turns much cooler on the off chance that there could be some bugs there.

firefighterjake said:
Looks good to me . . . although I might take Maple's suggestion and protect the vinyl siding somewhat . . . I also tend to not put a lot of wood up on to my covered porch (similar set up to you) until the weather turns much cooler on the off chance that there could be some bugs there.

+4 on the vinyl, it will crack when it gets cold and brittle.

Bubbavh said:
Nice rack!
Bugs shouldn't be a problem with a small rack like that. What's the hole in the middle for?

It should be fine, especially after the first freeze. I like the idea of protecting the vinyl. Slip in a sheet of 1/2 plywood back there.

Is the hole for a pet door?

Nice
Yep, the plywood behind is a good idea & it would save the siding.

I know about 100 people just said this, but I stack my wood up near vinyl and I have busted it all to heck. That stuff gets pretty brittle in the cold. If you like your vinyl siding more than I like mine (I think the vinyl siding on my old house is a sin against humanity) then you will protect it!

Why bother protecting it, when you can just keep the fire rack there year round loaded with firewood in case you get the urge?
Since some of us lite up at 70+ degrees for fun I notice....

Nobody will see what they can't see!

Status
Not open for further replies.