Too good to be true

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
I see a lot of people on here that are relatively close to me. I met with a tree guy the other day on the subject of dropping logs behind my business. I have some space and figured I'd process it on weekends at my leisure. He has a yard full of logs and needs the space since his firewood guy does not get there fast enough a lot of the time. I was planning on talking about 12-18" logs in the 8' or so length. He was talking about 36+" trunks in the 8-10' range. Turns out that what I consider logs he considers branches and chips them. It is way out of my league.

Anyone in the Bux/Mont PA area able to handle such a massive volume of wood can feel free to message me their contact information. I will be happy to try to put you with the source.

Sounds like a lot of work. Those big trunks and rounds are a bear to work with. I guess if you have the equipment , but it's tough getting someone to split that big stuff to a more manageable size. I'm in Chester Co. Don't think I can help you with any names.

At my age I'm in the >24" log business lol but if I were as young and strong as I used to be I'd definitely take you up on that offer. I cut my rounds to 22-23" as that's what my stove can handle so the weight of a 36" round at 23" does not appeal to me. Just out of curiosity if you could shoot me a PM with this tree guy I might have to chat with him some day. Thanks Andy

My parents neighbor's had a bunch of white oaks taken down last year and the tree guys dropped them off at there house, most of the rounds were in the 24" to 34" ++, I knew they were going to be heavy when I cut them into rounds last fall. Last week I went over there to split them, holy cow they were a lot heavier then I expected, literally broke my A#$ splitting the big ones in half. We ended up getting probably close to 3 cord out of that score, but that 3 cord sure was work.

At my age I'm in the >24" log business lol
I still think like I'm 29 on most things but I definitely feel every bit of my 49. My biggest limit is my equipment, though. I'd need to spend a few grand just to be able to process this volume of wood. At 29 I'd be buried in those logs right now trying to cut my way out with my 18" saw. At 49 I quickly calculated how many cords of wood I could have delivered for the price of the equipment I'd have to buy, factored in the many hours of work and the likelihood that I'd have to finally use that life insurance policy. Thank God for wisdom.

Lol wisdom certainly comes with age- I'm 46 but still think I'm 26 some days, until the next day... I haven't bought home heating oil in going on 4 years so with that money NOT spent the CFO has been lenient on wood processing purchases. She has no idea I have 5 saws though

Reactions: jaychino415
I act like I'm 30 but feel like I'm 45. Oh, wait, I am 30. Wood processing is hard on a body. I'm not looking forward to how I'll feel when I'm actually 45.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Stay in some semblance of shape and it helps. Its all a state of mind, I won't let myself feel like I'm 46, and I have a whole lot of inspiration in the form of a retired, overweight lazy FIL that lives with us. THAT keeps me going for sure.

Both my dad and my fil put me to shame. Then again I suppose they put slot of people to shame, so at least I'm not alone.

He is not the man he used to be but he did it to himself

I'm 63 can I can I keep up some with some whippersnappers, yes, but my recovery time is way longer than their's. That said some of us grey haired folks can out do some of those whippersnappers. Course I do not start out like rocket more like the turtle, simple steady plodding along.

You guys crack me up. I'm a 27 year old heavy machinery mechanic/ lumber Jack on the weekends. I definitely feel my age and maybe even 10 years older than I should.

I have a bad back and still process wood. Im 43 and I think smart, leaving the heavy stuff for other people and concentrate on rounds I can lift safely and at my own pace. I own a splitter because the vibration of swinging my axe to many times hurts. Years ago I would split half a cord to relax but now I have to use my splitter. I spent my time today dropping a few trees and bucking them up, brought them home and split and stacked them, all before the wife and kids got back from the city, it was a fantastic day. Where theres a will theres a way!

I just got done (this weekend), cutting and splitting an Oak Log that started out as 14 ft. long.....42 in. at one end, and 36 in. at the narrow end. I can usually call my tree contact and get a load of logs at will....for free, but lately I'm getting hit with a log or two of this size, and sometimes a stump:(.......I've decided not to go with the logs anymore (at least for awhile), wrestling this last one tested both me and my little MS290 with a 20 inch Bar.

Anyone in the Bux/Mont PA area able to handle such a massive volume of wood can feel free to message me their contact information. I will be happy to try to put you with the source.
I'm your huckleberry...

Last edited:
I just knew somebody was gonna step up to the plate.;)

I love working up big rounds - I am kinda like a diesel. Takes a while to warm up but then I can pull hard. Oh - I am 45.

Sounds like the kind of stuff I normally work with. Wish he was closer to me. It is rare that I cut trees under 2 feet in diameter.

Status
Not open for further replies.