Too good to be true

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nocdpc

Mar 20, 2009
Northeast CT
Local Landscaper Windslow Landscaping is offering seasoned cords of wood for $170 per cord. So I put a order in as this is really cheap. Before the wood was dropped I selected 5 pieces and split them and tested the moisture content. They were running at 38% to 40%. I said no thank you as this will not well. I told him I would take it off his hands for 140 per cord. His reply was I have 200 customers waiting for wood. I said good luck.

It's only good for next season....
But around here, $170 is a good price for a cord split and delivered. Even if it is for next year.
I pay about $135/cord tree length!

I get straight logs delivered on truck in 8cords for $75 per cord. If the guy was willing to lower the price to 140 or 150 I would have accepted the delivery and left it stacked for the following year.

I just dont get it. "Seasoned" is supposed to be at or about 20% MC. Period. If its not, its not seasoned, and I'm not paying BOO for it. Tree companies (around my area) will drop as much hardwood in my driveway as I want for free, but I usually have to buck it and split it myself. This is a fair trade for both of us. If someone is 'selling' me 'seasoned' wood and shows up with 40% MC, he's trying to rip me off, and I'll take it for $50 a cord- not a penny more. I hate scammers and crooks, and if everybody held these guys accountable for their actions, the 'firewood world' would be a better place. Just my 2 cents. :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.