Too good to be true?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy I hope so. I burned Saturday and at about 10pm I had to open the windows because it was 80 degrees in the kitchen. Looks like tonight will dip back into the 20's. I usually pretty much stop burning about the 3rd week of march with the occasional fire every so often.

8 above zero here this a.m. @ this rate we should probably stop burning about the 4 th week of April.

split this said:
Boy I hope so. I burned Saturday and at about 10pm I had to open the windows because it was 80 degrees in the kitchen. Looks like tonight will dip back into the 20's. I usually pretty much stop burning about the 3rd week of march with the occasional fire every so often.
Wow, if the temp drops below 80 in my house my wife is complaining and telling me I need to build a fire... I'm always sweating just walking around the house, and she wonders why I always smell like BO...

We're still burning 24/7 here, but hopefully we'll drop off soon.

Looks like shoulder in NE PA can't be long for SE CT.

Shawn

Yep, just burning scraps and cut-offs during the day to keep the chill off, and one normal size load before bed. Should be about another 2 weeks of 24/7, tops, until just the occasional fire. And not a minute too soon....boy is the woodshed looking empty. :eek:hh:

It's been steadily getting warmer around here, with occasional lapses into frigidity. Last 2 nights in particular, it got down to -3, but warmed up to upper 20's-low 30's.
The alarm didn't go off this morning, so when I woke up the house was down to mid 50's. That's the coldest I can remember since we moved here.
We've mostly been doing a pretty good fire then a smaller reload in the morning, then no fire until later in the afternoon. This has been the MO for the last week or so.
Pretty soon, it'll be less, then somewhere at the end of May (hopefully), we'll stop.
Funny, this happens every year.

Yeah - we are getting there.

My wood bin that usually gets filled once a day - now gets me thru two days.

We had warm weather saturday and I split and stacked 4 pallets of oak and 1 of cherry. It's all I could get to since the rest was locked into ice. Sunday - we had lots of rain and the snow is finally gone! Now I can see my pile of rounds and I think I'm good for awhile!

We do our splitting and stacking in late March and early April. Some years it is April before we get started. We go strictly by the weather. Usually I'll start splitting in late March and there is usually some snow left on the stacks and the bottom row is frozen in. By the time the splitting is done, most of the snow is gone.

So if this year holds true, we can expect snow on the ground for some time yet along with cold temperatures, for sure cold at night.

Also, the past few years have not been great for making syrup and last year was the absolute worst ever for this area. So, one extreme quite often follows another and if so, this will be a good year for maple syrup. That means 40's daytime and 20's at night. Time will tell. I have not yet made it to the sugar bush. Maybe this afternoon I'll take a drive.

In CT we sure are. I am usually finished burning sometime around the first of April.

Still going 24x7 here. We hit the upper 40's Saturday, got at least 2" of rain Sunday and then the temps went down to about 20 and it froze, now I can barely see across the street for all the snow coming down.

Spring is not here yet. I will probably be burning around the clock until my usualy mid to late April, then we start the daily fires till mis May.

My wife has Lupus and has been arthritic since she was a teenager so I keep the place on the warm side.

Single digits and a bunch of snow on the ground when I woke up. Made a pile of snow and threw a load in the stove.

Attachments

• 030611 snow pile.jpg
    030611 snow pile.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 426
_ 35 celcies last night same temps for the rest of the week,same as last week.Warms up nice durring the day,our sun is back YEA,only about - 17 days,mabey a little warmer.
Florida vaction starts on the 13 th YEA one week of wild rides at theam parks,get to be a Kid with the Kid.Should only have about a mounth of snow left when we get back on the 28TH.
I'll miss the winter,no really.
Thomas

I just returned from in back. I took the trailer and got part of a load then dropped it at a neighbor's house. The snow is getting to be no so deep. Mostly around 5" in most spots with more in the shaded areas. Still a bit chilly out there but really nice. After I get a bite to eat, I am heading back outdoors.

Still going 24/7 here, last night was in the teens and tonight will get down to the mid 20's. This week we should see some 40 day time temps so I'll be able to scale back the loads a little.

single digit night temps
Still 24/7 for me. Longer burn times though.
Got to 30 today, clear, sunny. Feeling some heat from the sun. Pretty soon :)
Driveway clear, mostly from sublimation, but am afraid to hope or brag, MN might here me.
Little 2 yr old birch left. Lots of ice from packed snow. 6:30 PM still have some sun :)

Attachments

• 100_6002.jpg
    100_6002.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 100_6003.jpg
    100_6003.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 235
very nice shed :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.