too hot...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
my stove is now heated up to operating temps... i've been feeling the walls to the rear sides (its a corner install) and they are really hot...

i put a thermometer on it and it pegged at 120 soo maybe 130 (oops) and up temp... ON DRY WALL!

whats an unsafe wall temp?

would a stove pipe shield the whole way up work to keep the temp down, or would a double wall pipe be better?

Can you keep your hand on the wall for more than 5 seconds? (someone told me that was a goo measuring stick). Does the wall have an air gap?

i can keep it on for more than 30 secs... but it's not pleasant... it begins to feel less hot the longer i hold me hand on it...

i need a laser thermometer!

Are you within the stove manuals stated clearances to combustibles? If so you should be fine. I've heard if you can keep your hand on it, it's less than 200 degrees and your ok. But if you want piece of mine go with shielding.

If the installation is to code you should have nothing to fear...
With the everburn going the back does get pretty hot. These units come with a back shield. Do you have one?

i'm at the clearances...maybe 1/2 inch less on one side due to how my rock layed out ( height wise)... i kinda think it's under 200 since i can stand the burn and keep my hand on until it stops feeling sooo hot...

i think shielding would be the cheapest way to solve the problem... even if it just lowers the temp 20 degrees it'll work... double wall pipe would be great... a "non-combustible wall" would be the best way

Diabel said:
If the installation is to code you should have nothing to fear...
With the everburn going the back does get pretty hot. These units come with a back shield. Do you have one?

yes, it came with it...

i just closed the dampener

flue pipe temps dropped to 325-350, and the fire is glowing nicely....i don't have it loaded as full as i should but i think the everburn is working.... it's still not cold enough to really fire this thing up... it's 92 in my room right now and 72 in the coldest part of the house... and 55 outside

Where does the wall get hot...around the stove or the stove pipe?

If you can keep your hand on it for 30 seconds it should be fine. That would be less than 130 degrees unless you have callouses like an elephant. Shielding will lower the wall temps alot, but drywall should be ok; according to the experts up to about 180 from what I've read. Still, if you want peace of mind, a wall shield isn't going to hurt and it will be a lot cooler on the other side of the shield.

it's hottest from the stove pipe up.... around the middle of the stove is warm/ hot... but i feel it's with-in what i feel is acceptable

BeGreen said:
If you can keep your hand on it for 30 seconds it should be fine. That would be less than 130 degrees unless you have callouses like an elephant. Shielding will lower the wall temps alot, but drywall should be ok; according to the experts up to about 180 from what I've read. Still, if you want peace of mind, a wall shield isn't going to hurt and it will be a lot cooler on the other side of the shield.

now that i closed the dampener the flue temps dropped 280-ish and the walls feel hot, but not as hot as they were when the flue temp was 450-475

i am going to look into a shield like the flue collar i have... but extends the whole way (or atleast 2-3 feet) up from the flue in the same shape and size as the flue collar is...

i think that a shield that size and closeness to the pipe will lower the wall temps a couple dozen degrees...

i could be over reacting... it may just be hotter than i expected, but still safe... it's all new to me right now

It sounds like you have single wall connector pipe? Are you sure you have enough clearance (per the manual) for single wall? If so, like the others have said, you should be safe.

OTOH, for piece of mind, you could change it to double wall.

Ken

In the UL clearances testing the max safe temp is considered 115 degrees over the ambient room temperature. So at 70 degrees ambient that would be 185 degrees.

But in the real world you need to do what you need to do to feel safe with the stove burning.

yeah, it's probably safe.... but those two words don't sit well with me.... probably and safe!!

i'm going to look into the pipe guard or the double wall pipe... i don't want to put material on the walls...

peace of mind is worth the extra price

TB,
Is the pipe single or double wall? Mine is double 15" from the wall & it is warm to touch when the stove is going hard. Sounds like yours is single.

diabel.... it's a single wall pipe until it hits the ceiling box....

would just hanging a tin panel, or maybe a brass object be ok??

trailblaze said:
diabel.... it's a single wall pipe until it hits the ceiling box....

would just hanging a tin panel, or maybe a brass object be ok??

How far from the wall is the pipe? Also, when did you put your DW in...perhaps you could replace it with double wall...

Status
Not open for further replies.