Too many choices and designs for wood gasification boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hughmyster

Feb 20, 2009
central ct
I'm thinking of installing a wood boiler this summer. There are way to many different boilers out there and do I need storage with it? My house is kind of big and I'm not sure if I install one it might make me work full time to reap the benefits. How do you figure if these units will make it through the night on a single loading? How many btu can I get out of a single loading? Will my house call for too much heat when I'm trying to charge a storage tank and never get the tank charged properly? Is it better for multiple small storage tanks than one large tank for my hydro air system? The cooler the water the longer the blowers will run and then the electric bill is larger? Help me figure this out. It's driving me nuts trying to figure this out and if it's really feasible to do. Thanks

hughmyster said:
I'm thinking of installing a wood boiler this summer. There are way to many different boilers out there and do I need storage with it? My house is kind of big and I'm not sure if I install one it might make me work full time to reap the benefits. How do you figure if these units will make it through the night on a single loading? How many btu can I get out of a single loading? Will my house call for too much heat when I'm trying to charge a storage tank and never get the tank charged properly? Is it better for multiple small storage tanks than one large tank for my hydro air system? The cooler the water the longer the blowers will run and then the electric bill is larger? Help me figure this out. It's driving me nuts trying to figure this out and if it's really feasible to do. Thanks
The first thing that jumps out at me is that you are possibly thinking of running a gasser like an OWB. Some will probably have an 8 hour burn, the most I could ever get out of mine is around 3 hours. Thats why storage is nice as you don't need to worry about burn times & can run it flat out. Large vertical tanks are the best in my opinion. Radiators are nice! if they will fit in with your decor. You need to do heat loss calculation so you don't undersize the boiler & can heat & charge the tanks. In Europe they will at times do a heat loss & size the boiler 1 1/2 times this. Read the threads, you have some time till summer, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.