Too many coals?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

Ok, since my last few posts have been in the ash can or the darwin award thread, I had to ask a serious question.

I just started burning my Osburn 2200i and today is one of the first times I've had it going for an extended period of time. The other fires were break in and then short duration. Today, I lit it about six hours ago and have been burning it since with a mix of well seasoned split wood (not sure exactly what but it's all very dry). I seem to have a huge coal bed building up and am wondering how deep a bed of hot coals should I let accumulate?

There is probably a 4" deep bed of glowing hot coals covering the entire base of the firebox. As splits turn to the glowing coal stage, I have been breaking them up and distributing them across the floor of the firebox. I have the insert dampered all the way down and seem to be going through a lot of wood. Should I wait until the coal bed goes down a bit before reloading? Also, when I reload, should I leave the coals spread in an even layer under the new wood or move them (front, back, side, two piles)?

I am slowly getting the hang of burning this thing and so far I just love it. It's low 20's outside right now and 75 in the basement, 70 on the main level and 71 in the middle of the upper hall / landing.

I'm Lovin' It :)

Everybody has their own way, but with that bed of coals I would adjust the air to keep a 400 or so temp and burn up a couple of inches of those coals before adding more wood. Then stir down the ash, open the intake and start a burn cycle all over again over an evenly spread bed of coals. This time burning the load down to a couple of inches of coals before reloading.

It kinda sounds like you are adding small amounts of wood at a time instead of loading, charing and damping down for a longer burn. You get to watch a lot of action up top of the stove that way but don't get the most out of your wood or the cleanest burn with the same amount of wood.

Hope that makes sense.

Here is a tip I read on here not too long ago. Rake the coals towards the front and just put 1 split on top of the pile of coals. OPen your air full and the coal bed will demish to a more useable amount . Such as maybe 2" in the bottom rather then the large build up your speaking of. You may have to use this method 2 times. It worked very well for me.

If you are feeding the stove during its burn cycle, coals will build up faster than normal. Fires have cycles, and letting the coals burn down is one of them. If you add to the fire while there are still flames, you're adding a new source of coals. I'll let that happen sometimes when I want a lot of heat, or if i am burning pine, etc.... but then you have to let them burn down. I have found that during the day, having a nice 2" bed of coals is a good thing... anything more then that and they tend to get in the way. So, if you have too many coals, let them burn down a while, the stove will still stay hot. If you want them to burn down quicker, and get some cool "anthracite" coal flames, then pile them up in front of the air inlet and close the doors. Its a very good way to burn down coals and heat things up in a hurry.

Good luck,

-- Mike

I have found what Mike Wilson is describing works best for me! The coals will generate alot of heat. I don't run a thermometer, so I adjust air to the right color of red. Usually this means I increase air flow from what it was adjusted to for overnight burns. KD

Thanks for the help!

BB, I've been adding two to three splits at a time, not relly packing the box on each reload.

Mike, thanks for the tip on when to reload.

I think I'll try raking the coals forward into a pile and opening up the air. That should burn them down a bit. That sounds like a good idea adrpga498, thanks.

I also remember reading some where that when I load for an overnight burn I should rake the coals to the front, pack the box, let everything get cooking and then shut the air down. Does that sound right?

MrGriz said:
Thanks for the help!

BB, I've been adding two to three splits at a time, not relly packing the box on each reload.

Mike, thanks for the tip on when to reload.

I think I'll try raking the coals forward into a pile and opening up the air. That should burn them down a bit. That sounds like a good idea adrpga498, thanks.

I also remember reading some where that when I load for an overnight burn I should rake the coals to the front, pack the box, let everything get cooking and then shut the air down. Does that sound right?
Perfect procedure. It works for me anyway.

MrGriz said:
I seem to have a huge coal bed building up
Add less wood each time you reload, and/or reload less frequently.

MrGriz, thats a great post and I am having the same problem with my Avalon Rainier. It seems that I am having to clean it out more often and have those big chunks of black coals in order to fit enough chunks back in..I usually do have a really nice 2-3" thick of orange/red hot coals but once it gets to this point I usually re-load..From what I am reading I shouldnt until it burns down more huh? I should let it burn down more by giving it more air? Or I could rake the coals towards the front and reload what I can in the back?

Status
Not open for further replies.