Too many elbows and Tee's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

taxidermist

Minister of Fire
Mar 11, 2008
Fowlerville MI
Is there such a thing as to many elbows and tees in a system? I understand friction loss as I am a fireman and deal with this all the time, but in my system I am not sure if there is too many? I dont see any other way to plumb it. I am using a 010 at the boiler located 140' from the house with 2=1inch pex lines. In the basement I have a 007 pulling water from the tanks and pushing thru thr DHW and HX for forced air(all with in 5 feet) . Is there a rule of thumb?

Thanks,
Rob

Hey Tax, tell us how you plumbed your setup. I also have a 60 with 1000 gallons storage. Im a day away from getting it going even though this is season 4 for me. I'm 2, 1" lines of 80 feet from my Eko and storage, and I currently am asking a 009 on a manifold to circulate the water for my air ex, and a 007 for my DHW flat plate. I was easily able to use the 009 in a series plumbed setup before I changed my entire plumbing scheme. Lots of elbo's and such in that configuration. But someone else here can give you a more scientific explination im sure.

At the boiler I have typical plumbing with protection then I added a bypass around the danfoss incase I have to leave town and keep water flowing to prevent freeze up.

In the house I have 1 inch black pipe and 1inch pex, two equal lengths of pex to charge the tanks.

2 equal pex returns to bottom of tank.

2 supply from the tank to pump then I branch to 2 black pipes one to hx with ball valve and one to DHW

I also branched my return to take 1 from hx with ball valve and 1 to DHW this way I can shut off the HX in the summer time.

I am trying to make my pics smaller to post them but I can not down load picasa for some reason.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.