too much ash????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave-o

Jan 18, 2009
Midwest
I bought a Lopi Revere in October and i am pleased with the heat it puts out and how much wood it uses. I have used half the wood so far than last. Except for the back air tube comming off it has had no problems untill recently. I get up a couple times a night and throw more wood on the fire but here lately when i get up the blower has been off. Two hour intervals 2:00 4:00 6:00am. the only thing i can come up with is that there is to much ash/ambers filling up my small burning area. When i do clean it out it burns hotter and it seems longer. Is this right? I need some feed back on what the problem could be. thanks

Do the dollar test on the door gasket. When ever I'm getting short burn times it's usually from an air leak and the main culprit is the door gasket.

Dave, are you letting the coals burn down? For sure you should not have to reload every two hours! That would get old fast!

Naturally if the ash/embers are filling up the firebox there is less room for wood....and that wood will not burn as well because it is not getting enough draft. To burn off the coals, open the draft 100% for a while before reloading with wood.

How much ash are you leaving when you clean the ashes? How often do you clean out the ashes?

I realize this is an old post, but I recently had the same problem with my Revere. My wife removed the blower to clean it and then "re-installed" it - but the screws were loose. I couldn't figure out why my blower was shutting down at 300 degrees until I wiped the blower down and discovered it was loose. Make sure the two screws are TIGHT next to the damper rod where the blower attaches. You need a tight fit to the blower to transfer heat and activate the thermostat.

Status
Not open for further replies.