Too much coal left?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kversch

Dec 26, 2014
New York
ive been having a problem with too much big chunky coal left in my stove after a overnight burn. I've switched from my shoulder season soft woods (silver maple, poplar, pine). To my good wood for over nights. Last night was a load of sugar maple with a few elm splits.

Haven't changed the way I run the stove still cutting it down at the same points. Is it posible that with these warmish ( mid 30's) temps I'm cutting the air back to much? This is my first fall shoulder season burning so I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I try to keep the stove with wam coal threw the days and nights so I don't have to relight each night.

Any help or input would be great. It's hard to get the stove filled and going in the am in my time frame when it's still full of chunky coals.

Stove is a lopi liberty

Is it posible that with these warmish ( mid 30's) temps I'm cutting the air back to much?

that'd be my guess. Experiment with different settings and see what happens. Or you could just crack the door open in the morning and let those coals burn down.

Seems there's always a balance between closing air to get a longer burn, and then having too deep a coal bed. I find by maxing the air, sometimes with the door ajar, I can burn down big, chunky coals by adding a handful of twigs or other kindling to accelerate the process before reloading.

ive been having a problem with too much big chunky coal left in my stove after a overnight burn. I've switched from my shoulder season soft woods (silver maple, poplar, pine). To my good wood for over nights. Last night was a load of sugar maple with a few elm splits.

Haven't changed the way I run the stove still cutting it down at the same points. Is it posible that with these warmish ( mid 30's) temps I'm cutting the air back to much? This is my first fall shoulder season burning so I'm still trying to get the hang of it. I try to keep the stove with wam coal threw the days and nights so I don't have to relight each night.

Any help or input would be great. It's hard to get the stove filled and going in the am in my time frame when it's still full of chunky coals.

Stove is a lopi liberty
If the coals are burning red, isn't that a good thing to have that left over in the am or when you return from work?

Usually too many coals is a problem with wet wood, or turning the air down too much. Sometimes you get them when a stove is pushed too hard and it's really cold, but that shouldn't be happening yet.

Usually too many coals is a problem with wet wood, or turning the air down too much. Sometimes you get them when a stove is pushed too hard and it's really cold, but that shouldn't be happening yet.
ARe they unburnt charcoal or coals?

This has been an issue with me with my NC30. I fully believe that my wood is to blame. I should have that fixed for next year ( I CSSed a massive amount of wood this spring), but that doesn't help me now. So here's how I get around it:

In the evenings after work, my house is still warm due to the burn from when I fixed the fire that morning. So I heap the coals in the front, open the air all they way, and throw just enough bark on to get the flue temp back up. I may have to repile once more before I reload for the evening. I try to balance waiting for the coals to burn down with needing to get a cycle started so I have enough room for my night load. Every three days or so, I'll sift out the ash before buring down the coals. I seem to get about 1/2 to 2/3 of a ~4 gallon metal bucket each time.

As for me, the coals are still very much on fire. It doesn't look like it when approaching the stove, but when it gets stirred, they come alive

Agreed, the only way to burn all the coals is more air. I add 2 splits on them. But your making to much heat, I would try smaller loads and let it burn out.

Throw some small dry splits of pine on those coals and let it burn hot as long as you can. That should shrink the coal pile down.

Reactions: firefighterjake
ARe they unburnt charcoal or coals?
Some brute glowing coals in the model of the stove and some dark charcoal looking stuff in the very back of the stove. Don't get me wrong I like gaveling coal left for quick fire up on a fill. But when It's so much I can hardly put a full load of wood that seems like a problem.

The big problem I seem to have is that if I don't cut the air way down especially new that's it's a bit colder out, My stack temps are pushing 800 sometimes more. My stove top teams will run 550-650. Pretty much switched to full loads of sugar maple now. (I know the wood is dry my moisture neater reads 20 on splits. The tree was stove dead two years ago when cut down split and stacked).

I love this stove but man It likes to run hot at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.