Too much draft???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawandorder

Mar 17, 2008
upstate new york
Well last year I fought with not enough draft, not dry enough wood, and problems with wind coming off the garage roof down onto pipe. So this year I added 4ft section to get it up higher, but now I am getting lots of smoke out the pipe cap no matter what I try it still persists. The wood is 20 or less mc, i continue to check all the pieces andhave been testing larger ones to make sure its all good. Now what do i do. Installer is coming to get an accurate measurment on the draft tommorow but should i just remove the four foot section and deal with the wind issues?? Or leave the pipe as is and install damper??? Will the damper also solve the smoking issue out of my pipe?? I have two OWBs on the block and enjoyed not having smoke or exhaust out of my pipe, now i feel just like I own an OWB...Learning curve took a hard left again.....

Why are you idling when you have storage? MY thought is, eliminate the idling, eliminate the smoke.

I know nothing about EKO's nor your individual setup.

The boiler is not idling at all, it smokes during the burn cycle for most of the cycle the only time my pipe stops smoking is towards the end when the firebox is reall low...

Again, I can only make general observations. The EKO o/o's here can probably make better comments.

To over-simplify a bit. . . . I say 'smoke' is an improper air/fuel mixture. Or it is water, which makes it steam, not smoke. I'll assume it's not water, based on your telling us your wood is dry.

Changing the draft (when you increased stack height) with no other changes, altered the air/fuel mixture. Anecdotally I would think this would increase the ratio of air to fuel,, I'm just thinking out loud now.

What temp is the water coming out of the boiler going into storage? If it's too low, that also will create less-efficient burning, a/k/a 'smoke'.

output temps are fine 180 plus usually within first hour or so of burn cycle. Cant figure it out now but going to drive me a bit crazy....

Are you sure it's smoke and not just steam? Now that we're finally getting cold weather I see 'smoke' from a lot of oil burners around here.

my hunch also is steam, watch it exit the flue, steam will appear more white than smoke and disapate about 30 ft out, smoke will hover and will make a longer trail from the fluestack

I agree with DaveBP, possible if it is really cold out. I see a lot of houses that look like there's smoke coming out of the chimney, and I know they don't burn wood.

flue temps are 5-600. I understand the steam theory and would generally agree as i had that last year but only when it was in the single digits or less and it was a lot less than it is this year. I the draft result was .6 I believe. Installer looked at boiler and noticed an air leak at the door seal of the lower refractory door. Would this create the smoke/steam that I am seeing????

Candidly, what you describe makes no sense to me. I will assume the probe flue thermometer reads as you say, 500-600F; and that wood truly is about 20% MC. Next I assume you have relatively small splits, no larger than 5" and many smaller.

The Solo 40 (at least mine does) has a viewing glass into the gasification chamber. With the secondary air lever set in the middle (forget about any other adjustment), the viewing glass should show blasting orange-blue-colorless flame into the tunnel and blasting out towards the viewing glass. And I mean blasting. Feel free to open the lower door to take a better look once in awhile, if you want. It should look and sound like you think a blast furnace might look and sound like (although I don't know what a blast furnace looks or sounds like). You shouldn't have any dripping creosote in the upper firebox, but a coating of creosote with some flaking along the top and sides, quite thin, and mostly stuck hard to the metal, is usual. No drips down the sides onto the refractory. And nothing should be blocking the gasification slot into the tunnel below.

If all of this is happening, operation sounds normal to me. Wispy steam, and even occasional smoke, all is usual, especially in cold weather. Smoke will occur occasionally based on burning conditions in the firebox, but it usually will correct itself (or poking down the wood burn load a little also helps, but don't block the gasification slot). Small splits really help to eliminate any smoking.

I assume in the past you haven't creosoted up the firebox by burning bad wood, and that creosote hasn't dripped into your airways. The manual mentions the rare possibility of this happening. If so, you've got to find a way to clean out the airways. Call Bioheat for help.

If all above is OK and you truly are getting smoke (if smoke, you should be able to really smell smoke outside), then I would take a look at where the damper is set on the draft fan. It has two adjustments, a fine adjustment and a basic adjustment. Start with both set so that the damper opens 100% with the fan running. This will produce maximum air, and it may be too much. You can tell by the temp reading higher on the flue probe being higher than it should be. IMO 600F with truly dry wood, and maybe somewhat higher, and without turbulators is probably fairly normal. If you have turbulators, temps should drop about 100F.

Last, if temps are above what they should be, you can gradually close down the draft fan damper to reduce the forced draft until you find a satisfactory flue temp and gasification continues normally. If it's closed too much, you may get inconsistent gasification.

I'm not saying you don't have chimney draft problems caused by improper chimney installation, not the right height, obstructions, trees, wind conditions, etc.; I am saying that if gasification is what it should be, there will no or very little smoke, but there may be steam. Steam will be odorless, and if you have a lot, your wood is not as dry as you think.

Hope you solve your problem.

Jebatty thanks for the information. Draft checked out fine.. ive resplit bigger pieces of wood to double check mc and most everything checks 20 or less. I occasionally will get a piece of oak thats 22-23 but i will only put in two or three small splits to mix in. Installer came out and states that the lower chamber door leak is causing wrong air mixture and fixing that should cure the problem. If thats not it then Im guessing more steam than smoke. I cant really tell weve had windy days and my pipe is way up not getting any kind of smoke smell or anything for that matter. just kills me to see anything coming out of chimney. Tarm feels it shouldnt be smoking or a lot of steam for that matter so ill wait to get the door fixed hopefully by weekend and see if that works. OTher than that im lost. Getting good gasification in tunnel, no creosote in chamber, firebox has small amount but nothing i can see that is a problem.... life goes on

I had a small leak in my bottom door last year and it only was a problem when I turned on the fan without enough heat in the firebox to create gasification. The smoke really leaked around the door . I dont think this is your problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.