Too much for VL-17?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff C

Burning Hunk
Oct 29, 2011
PA
Hi all,

First post, been lurking and reading for a while. I am looking at adding a stove to my house, which does not have an ideal layout. I was looking at the VL-17 as the space for the stove is not that large, my main concern is getting heat from the stove room up the stairs, which is well blocked off from the stove. I am not opposed to cutting holes for venting (would be done safely).

I hope this works, I've attached a picture with approximate dimensions of the rooms. Entire house is 1200sqft. I found a VL-17 for $550 and also a NC-13 for $640.

Do you think the VL-17 would be undersized? I am not looking to use this as the sole heat source, All rooms have steam radiators. If I could half my oil bill I would be pleased. The old lady would like the bedroom a little warmer at night, since the bedroom with the black dot is the one we sleep in, would the heat transfer through the ceiling/floor?

Thanks for any help. I've already learned a lot from reading through posts. Chimney is non existent, will be out and up side of the house 20'

Attachments

• floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 392
If you are putting in a new chimney, I would go with the bigger stove. Maybe even the NC-30.

I think the NC-13 would be a better fit if you want to stay warm at night it should provide longer burn times.. I feel the NC-30 is too much for 1200 sq. ft. and would cook you out..

Ray

raybonz said:
I feel the NC-30 is too much for 1200 sq. ft. and would cook you out..

pffft :lol:

I would definitely choose the larger stove if clearances would allow

Sorry Kath, but I gotta go with Ray on this one. That 30 in the space shown will not really have effective air movement to the upper level. It is gonna cook them. Go with the 13, I do think the 17 is too small for much more than a room heater. At least with the 13 it will give you enough box to stretch the burn a bit.

That 30 has a bigger box than my Isle Royale. I couldn't imagine it in that space.

Is the living room not an option for the stove location? If not, the dining room will work, sort of, but it will need a fan blowing from the living room into the dining room to start a circular convection via the kitchen. With this fan assist, I think you can go up to a 2 cu ft stove in the DR. But I would get a shielded convective unit with a lower hearth insulation requirement. Look at the Napoleon 1450 or Pacific Energy Super 27 for examples.

Attachments

• floorplan.jpg
    floorplan.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 258
Thanks for all the help guys. The living room is not an option due to furniture, closets, etc.

I realize the layout isn't great for a stove. I was even thinking of an in the wall fan in the DR shooting into the hallway where the stairs are.

I guess once I get settled on the stove and get it in, I can deal with the airflow issues.

Definitely 13-NCMH. I heated 850 sq. ft. with it perfectly. Still have coals in the morning too.

SmokingAndPoking said:
Definitely 13-NCMH. I heated 850 sq. ft. with it perfectly. Still have coals in the morning too.

Oh, what would you know about that stove? ;-)

I think the 13 would be the best choice, but don't overlook the option of getting the 17 now, and then finding out it's not enough, and then upgrading to the 13 so you can put the 17 out in your workshop or barn or if you don't have a shed, then this could be the reason to build one for a lawn tactor and chainsaws, but if you don't have chainsaws/tractors, then this could be a reason to buy some of those... I think you see why I have a million unfinished projects and about two hundred hobbies....

Do you use the dining room for actual dining? (Ours is a kids playroom, thats why I am asking)
As much as I like to burn wood, I don't think the floorplan would work well at all with the stove in the dining room...eating dinner and its about 80 degress in that room.
Are you sure there is no way to get it in the living room?

It's too bad that you can't put it in the living room on that (East) wall. That would be the best place heatwise, IMHO.

I think either stove would be a great choice. The 17vl can really put out some heat, especially with the blower running. The 13 will give you a longer burn time. I think your case will come down to how sucked in to woodburning you get - many people start out looking to cut down their bills and increase their comfort level a bit and then before you know it they are burning around the clock. If starting out smaller with the 17 and then upgrading in the future once you see how burning fits into your lifestyle then go for it! I'm really happy with my 17 but can see where shorter burn times could be a bummer if it turns out you unleash your inner woodburner side...

I have the 17 and could regularly roast us out of my trailer. I don't have a second floor to think about, though if you had a blower I could totally see that working out.

~Rose

Danno77 said:
I think the 13 would be the best choice, but don't overlook the option of getting the 17 now, and then finding out it's not enough, and then upgrading to the 13 so you can put the 17 out in your workshop or barn or if you don't have a shed, then this could be the reason to build one for a lawn tactor and chainsaws, but if you don't have chainsaws/tractors, then this could be a reason to buy some of those... I think you see why I have a million unfinished projects and about two hundred hobbies....

Ha! Just the kind of advice I don't need! I think if I can get the 13 and its only $90 more than the 17 I'm gonna go that route. Yea, the living room is definitely out of the question. A large sectional couch takes up 1/2 the room, and closets/tv stand take up the rest. Like I said, not an ideal layout but I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for all your input.

daveswoodhauler said:
Do you use the dining room for actual dining? (Ours is a kids playroom, thats why I am asking)
As much as I like to burn wood, I don't think the floorplan would work well at all with the stove in the dining room...eating dinner and its about 80 degress in that room.
Are you sure there is no way to get it in the living room?

We don't really use the dining room for eating. Most of our time is spent in the living room. I don't really see us hosting too many dinner parties in the winter, more of a summer bbq kinda people.

Status
Not open for further replies.