Too much heat in my game room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see this topic opened up a can of worms.... I understand theres no 100% effective way to get the heat upstairs, but I do feel the putting vents high on the walls into the cold air return should be effective this would be right at the stoves location also in my gameroom , but is this a fire issue like the grates would be ? Dont get me wrong I love the heat in the gameroom but would like to share it a bit with the rest of the house... Thanks Pez

I'm to guess that having no door on a basement stairs is a no no then. But then what stops the spread of fire in a floor plan that is open to the second story? My house has no hallways th upstairs bedroom is right of the landing and loft area. I 'm thinking the walls issue is a separate issue anyway. I'm sure many fires start from receptacles in the wall and old construction would allow fire to race up the interior wall. But thats not this situation. If a fire starts in my house in a room it has free rain to travel between floors by nature of the floor plan.

Two things
We like worms
A fire will burn my house down because of it openiness like wkpoor's.

I don't know of a place that doesn't have codes. Country folk included. Don't most areas just flat out adopt the NFPA codes, even if they don't list them individually?

Very few codes out here, nothing when I built the house not even a building permit and even now if you are a farmer you can put up a building with out a permit.

oldspark said:
Very few codes out here, nothing when I built the house not even a building permit and even now if you are a farmer you can put up a building with out a permit.
Just because there are not any code enforcers, doesn't mean there isn't a code in place. I'm willing to bet there are building codes, electrical codes, etc in place even for the farmer putting up a shed up in your neck of the woods. You don't have to apply for a permit, so nobody tells you when you aren't following code.

When I built the house I called and ask and they did not say any thing about a code, but that was in 1980.

Danno77 said:
I don't know of a place that doesn't have codes. Country folk included. Don't most areas just flat out adopt the NFPA codes, even if they don't list them individually?

Far as I know, here there are only state codes, and there are no inspections or other enforcement that I'm aware of, although perhaps there are for new construction. Home insurance companies don't even seem to care. They just wanted to check off a box on the form that I had a woodstove, not what kind, how it was installed and vented or how much I used it.

gyrfalcon said:
Danno77 said:

Far as I know, here there are only state codes, and there are no inspections or other enforcement that I'm aware of, although perhaps there are for new construction. Home insurance companies don't even seem to care. They just wanted to check off a box on the form that I had a woodstove, not what kind, how it was installed and vented or how much I used it.
yeah, that's what a lot of areas are like. The states usually just adopt the NFPA. Some states get a little more stringent and rewrite some of it, but i don't know of any (I've been wrong before) states that have any looser codes than what the NFPA spells out.

Codes are put in to place due to problems, I guess if there are few issues in a certain area you may have less codes, in many cases codes are over kill.

Many houses with a open design will blow the use for those out of the water, not sure what you do with that type of house.

Danno77 said:
We in fact have no codes. Except for well and septic. You can build whatever you like where ever you like in my township. I know cause we built a new home. If you take out a loan the bank may require certain things to be up to snuff. And contractors will still build according to national standards. Other than that we have no building codes.

wkpoor said:
Danno77 said:
We in fact have no codes. Except for well and septic. You can build whatever you like where ever you like in my township. I know cause we built a new home. If you take out a loan the bank may require certain things to be up to snuff. And contractors will still build according to national standards. Other than that we have no building codes.
google tells me you are wrong. Ohio does have state-wide building codes. maybe I'm looking at the wrong things, though.
sorry, never posted a link: http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4101:1-1

Dude you be wrong.
303.22 Township zoning regulations to take precedence.
Where the people of any township or part thereof have approved township zoning regulations in accordance with sections 519.02 to 519.25, inclusive, of the Revised Code, prior to the adoption of a county rural zoning resolution by the board of county commissioners, and the county plan includes any area covered by the township zoning plan, the zoning resolution adopted by the board of township trustees shall take precedence over the zoning resolution adopted by the board of county commissioners, unless a majority of the voters in such zoned area of the township voting on the issue have voted to have the township plan of zoning replaced with the plan of county rural zoning.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953
Our township voted it out and we have a rural zoning plan. And that plan has no building codes in it. I built a house there. If there were codes I would have known. Maybe there are some other blanket issues but if so there would be no inforcement.

wkpoor said:
Dude you be wrong.
303.22 Township zoning regulations to take precedence.
Where the people of any township or part thereof have approved township zoning regulations in accordance with sections 519.02 to 519.25, inclusive, of the Revised Code, prior to the adoption of a county rural zoning resolution by the board of county commissioners, and the county plan includes any area covered by the township zoning plan, the zoning resolution adopted by the board of township trustees shall take precedence over the zoning resolution adopted by the board of county commissioners, unless a majority of the voters in such zoned area of the township voting on the issue have voted to have the township plan of zoning replaced with the plan of county rural zoning.

Effective Date: 10-01-1953
Our township voted it out and we have a rural zoning plan. And that plan has no building codes in it. I built a house there. If there were codes I would have known. Maybe there are some other blanket issues but if so there would be no inforcement.
I can't argue with that. Is zoning the same as building codes? I thought zoning was more about placement and type of building, not the specific techniques involved. Anyway, I don't live where you live, so I should probably keep my mouth shut about it.

Seems pretty stupid to not have building codes. I don't need them for myself, but for every one competent person I know, I also know about 20 idiots that would build some pretty crappy houses without codes to guide them. Of course, there is the argument that the EPA and a majority of these other codes and such are governed by people who have no authority under the constitution or however that argument goes. Leave stupid people to their own devises, some say.

I unfortunately think the OP lost his place in this discussion somewhere. My apologies Pez. PM me if you'd like the thread re-opened.

pen

pen said:
I unfortunately think the OP lost his place in this discussion somewhere.

pen
yeah, but if you wanna find it do a search and 50 more just like it will come up. so will rants about codes and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.