Too Much? How Much is Too Much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigV

Oct 1, 2006
Akron, OH
I currently have well over 20 cord split, stacked and ready to burn. I also have at least 12 to 15 cord on the ground waiting to be split.

Friday a neighbor had a huge red oak cut down less than a block away. He offered all the wood to me saving him $600.00 on removal. I couldn’t pass up the wood as it was so close. My wife was not happy at all to see yet another pile of wood in our backyard. The 1st two pic’s show the wood I have waiting to be split. The last pic is the wood I scored yesterday.

I think (and my wife will confirm) I am a wood hoarder… How much is too much? Should I have just passed on this red oak?

wooda.jpg

woodb.jpg

woodc.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I guess the question is... how much do you burn a year? If it's 5 cord.... I say you're perfect. If it's 10.... get to work!

:)

Tough to pass up free, great wood.

I'm in a similar dilemma,about 16 cords and neighbors wanting to give me more wood. yesterday a neighbor next to where I'm cutting locust showed me a huge load of oak and black birch total 31 trees that the power company cut and left in a pile. He was going to bulldoze it all into a ravine,but I called a friend who has an outdoor boiler who lives less than a 1/2 mile from it ,the two got together and my friends going to haul it out next week.I guess if in your case if you have the room it's amatter of personal choice. Your stacks are nice and orderly and wood stacked that way will last a long time. Another option you can sell off some excess,I plan on doing that myself.

You are smart not to pass up on opportunity. When times are good they are good, but times will not always be good and you will be prepared.

I wouldn't pass up free wood either. Get to splitting. Stacks look better and take up less space on the property than un-split piles. A second organized row like you have should make her happier. Looks like you have plenty of room for more.

Space is your limit. If you have the room, there is Spaceship too much. My wife was kinda giving me a hard time, but now that everything is split and stacked, it 'looks pretty nice'. I'm done until winter, unless some summer storm provides me with an excess of PRIMO wood. Got 16-17 cords right now.

You seem to enjoy cutting wood.
If you get so far ahead & still feel the urge to cut wood.
Sell some. Yea I know, you'll never get enough $$ for the work you put into it, but the enjoyment & exercise is more your reward anyway.

Always take the easier scrounges if it's good wood & you can. Seem you'll be able to let the oak season a few years before needed. :)
Good scrounge!

If you have the space and it's organized I don't think it's possible to have too much!

I know a place you can dump some if you want. !! ... Just West of Lodi on 224 ;) I figure about 25-30 min away ;)

I have plenty... But always looking for more......

On a serious note. . Good job. If you have the room, keep it and be glad you have it. Its like money in the bank. God forbid something was to happen and you couldnt cut for 1-2 yrs..... You would be in great shape. Keep up the good work ;) (but if you want to get rid of it....?...?) LOL

big v

take all the free choice wood you can handle and store. when the wife complains, sell off a sweet full cord and take her out to a fine restaurant. with what's left over, get her some flowers, or a gift certificate to her favorite clothing store or a spa. hire a cleaning service for a few hours to do some chores and give her a break. if that doesn't work, let us know and we'll give you some other bad advice.;)

OT

I currently have well over 20 cord split, stacked and ready to burn. I also have at least 12 to 15 cord on the ground waiting to be split.

Friday a neighbor had a huge red oak cut down less than a block away. He offered all the wood to me saving him $600.00 on removal. I couldn’t pass up the wood as it was so close. My wife was not happy at all to see yet another pile of wood in our backyard. The 1st two pic’s show the wood I have waiting to be split. The last pic is the wood I scored yesterday.

I think (and my wife will confirm) I am a wood hoarder… How much is too much? Should I have just passed on this red oak?

My congratulations to you.

20 cord split and stacked is great. The rest on the ground means you still have some work to do. Too much? Absolutely not!

For those who complain about wood stacks, if wood is stacked at least somewhat neat, there should never be any complaining about how it looks. Shoot, I've never had anyone say my wood stacks look awful and we've had up to 27 cord on hand at times. We burn about 3 cord per year.

Many people mock the man who continues to buck, split and stack wood in the summer time when he has plenty of cords put up already.

Few people mock the same man when they run out of firewood come early March . . .

---

So to answer your question . . . no . . . there are far more harmful addictions. This "addiction" is something that is quite useful as it provides heat to you and your family and it gives you some thing to do. If you enjoy the work, have the room and keep things neat and do not neglect your other jobs/duties (i.e. painting the house you promised your wife that you would do, going to your daughter's ball game, etc.) I see nothing wrong with it . . . hell . . . when someone is dropping off some primo firewood I would say it's actually your God-given duty as an American to take that wood. :)

nevery too much, you can always sell some or give some away. I found myself giving some away this year to the neighbors and friends. Why pay to belong to a gym when you can get your workout cutting and splitting wood. My elbow is starting to complain about it as so far I have only done hand splitting and I have about 20 cords split now.

Status
Not open for further replies.