Too much or just right???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Have a line on a tree service that is selling Log loads of Ash. Guarantees 10 face cords for $400. Logs are 12-15' in length and 10"-16" in Diameter. This price includes delivery. Normally I don't purchase wood but this deal sounds good. Thoughts would be appreciated.Thanks...:)

Face cords, Face cords, Face cords.

Firewood is measured in "Cords". I have always felt the term "Face Cord" is a way for the seller to deceive the purchaser.

As to your question, $120.00/cord delivered would be an average price if it was bucked and split. But logs should be a little bit cheaper IMO.

If you want to look at it a different way, you could say 100.00/cord. And a 100.00 for delivery. To pay a driver for the day.
I think the seller is being a little greedy but not so bad you have to pass it up.
Tell him if the load is a very generous 10 faces you are okay with it. If he shorts you tell him he will be making a second delivery. Because the numbers are already doing him the favors.
Keep in mind some wood sellers will sell green cords already split for 150.00 and sometimes less if you buy volume.
You can reach a point where you end up processing for merely exercise.
On the other hand Ash is a great wood to try your hand at log processing. Its also a quick way to get a little ahead.

.What type of wood do you get?
It's a mix. I'm not good ID'ing wood. I just ordered another triaxle load for 700. Last two loads I measured after stacking and I got 8 cords, which, I don't believe myself, so I'm sticking with 7.

Sad to say, I've never gotten an honest cut/split/delivered load. I do better with the log load, and then I can cut and split them just the way I want.

Reactions: NordicSplitter
I can get a log truck to deliver guaranteed 8 cords(full cords) for $7-800. You should be paying similar prices as your in NY as well. This is all hardwood - Oak, Ash, and Black Locust mainly. I would offer him less, or call around and see what other options you have.

If you want to look at it a different way, you could say 100.00/cord. And a 100.00 for delivery. To pay a driver for the day.
I think the seller is being a little greedy but not so bad you have to pass it up.
Tell him if the load is a very generous 10 faces you are okay with it. If he shorts you tell him he will be making a second delivery. Because the numbers are already doing him the favors.
Keep in mind some wood sellers will sell green cords already split for 150.00 and sometimes less if you buy volume.
You can reach a point where you end up processing for merely exercise.
On the other hand Ash is a great wood to try your hand at log processing. Its also a quick way to get a little ahead.

I like yer thinking :)

Reactions: Applesister
Craigslist.
. Or take note of the name on the door and given them a call. I don't know what timber prices
Are at right now. But it wasn't that long ago that logs brought just about same price as firewood.

Face cords, Face cords, Face cords.

Firewood is measured in "Cords". I have always felt the term "Face Cord" is a way for the seller to deceive the purchaser.

As to your question, $120.00/cord delivered would be an average price if it was bucked and split. But logs should be a little bit cheaper IMO.
There isn't a single wood burner in western NY that knows what a full cord is or it's measurements.
Face Cord is a legal measurements in NY as long as dimensions are stated.

There isn't a single wood burner in western NY that knows what a full cord is or it's measurements.
Face Cord is a legal measurements in NY as long as dimensions are stated.
Why is that, is wood so scarce that it is hard to find full cords?

Why is that, is wood so scarce that it is hard to find full cords?
You dont just walk down the street and find a cord of wood just sitting there by a dumpster waiting for someone to pick it up. Like a particleboard computer station.
Its an unregulated industry(the firewood business) and it is very labor intensive. The raw material is a renewable resource. Quite abundant...even for Western NY.
What it comes down to is laziness. Plain and simple. Because "labor" is the key word.

Still though if I have to pay $100 a cord from a log truck and I can purchase it for $150 split there is no way I am doing that much labor to save $50. It's a no brainer my hourly wage is much higher than that LOL.

You dont just walk down the street and find a cord of wood just sitting there by a dumpster waiting for someone to pick it up. Like a particleboard computer station.
Its an unregulated industry(the firewood business) and it is very labor intensive. The raw material is a renewable resource. Quite abundant...even for Western NY.
What it comes down to is laziness. Plain and simple. Because "labor" is the key word.

Actually, around here that happens quite often. Keep your eye on CL, I have talked to a few tree companies that have yards that are filled with wood, all types that they want to get rid of.

I don't think I'd get out of bed for a "face cord". Hardly worth the trouble. And I enjoy bucking and splitting, it's the stacking that I don't like. But I find gathering my firewood enjoyable.

Back to the OP question...That isn't a terrible price, but it isn't great either. I spose it depends on the region you are in.

$120-150 for a full split cord?? Sign me up! I wish I could get deals like that around here... a split cord in upstate NY sells for $240ish.

I've been trying to get log length delivered as well, but haven't been able to find anyone willing to deliver. If anyone knows someone around the Albany/ Saratoga area of NY, please send me a PM with their info.

I've been trying to get log length delivered as well, but haven't been able to find anyone willing to deliver. If anyone knows someone around the Albany/ Saratoga area of NY, please send me a PM with their info
My guy won't go that far, but there's gotta be somebody that does in Saratoga County.

Status
Not open for further replies.