Too much snow !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Running out of room to push snow.
Most snow accumulation we've had in several years.
May nave to get a FEL to move it back so I can have room it we get much more.:)
Wrap around snow effect, wind out of the south, very different than normal. Still snowing, 5" yesterday, 6" more so far today.
Love it, if it's winter, it should snow :)
My snow plowing helpers :

Attachments

• 100_0662.jpg
    100_0662.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 526
  • 100_0661.jpg
    100_0661.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 515
Thats really great. Its a sight for sore eyes. We got oct storm and thats it. Looks like you got your hands full. How much total snow do you have so far?

Alaska is a good place for it !

Not missing it after last year here !

A friend of mine from Value said they have over 400 inches
so far

That's pretty wild--this is hitting all over the state.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/01/06/1972492/snowstorms-bury-valdez-and-cordova.html

We have enough snow to need to plow here. I am on keep-it-done status w/a neighbor who has a plow, and it's been great to be able to count on that.

Here is one compensation--Fairbanks is famous for gorgeous summers, but in recent years they have mostly been smoky or rainy or both intermittently (yuck!) Our beautiful summers tend to follow the hard winters. I know that's not logical, but it gives me comfort to think that this might be so.

Nome is getting a tough winter thrown at them. I know they'll be happy there to see the barge clear the horizon:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45909554/ns/us_news-life/#.TwoqavkYt2I

bogydave said:
Wrap around snow effect, wind out of the south, very different than normal. Still snowing, 5" yesterday, 6" more so far today.

Nice pictures bogydave. This year I cleared some dead pine out of the way so I had another area to push snow, still waiting.

zap

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Alaska is a good place for it !

Not missing it after last year here !

+ 1

I'm with you!

If I had a choice,
1st I would live in southern california.

100th I would take the snow.

Possibly if I was retired with endless amounts of money, I might consider living in Northern Vermont.

My cousin in anchorage said they were going to break the record for most snow before the new year. Did you guys end up breakin it?

damn smart phone...value should be Valdez

We have what I'd call normal snow her in the Wasilla/Palmer area.
Back in the 80s, We used to get a few feet on the ground every winter.
Past 10 to 15 years, not much at all. Now this year lots of snow again. I like it.
When I ran snow removal equip, we called the snow flakes, "Pennies fro Heaven"::: Over Time :)

Good for the garden, rivers, snow machining, skiing, & money for snow removal workers!

About 12" on the ground after it's set up a bit.
Don't know how much we got total, some melted in Nov. Probably can be found online some how.
Let it snow :)

Valdez always gets lots, this year, more than lots.

Dave . . . stop hogging all the snow . . . send some over this way would ya? ;) :)

Great pics Dave.
My grandson used to LOVE driving the tractor, but he never got the chance to do it to plow snow. He's 16 now, and started driving cars, so the tractor work (when he's here) will probably be my job again. They grow up too fast.
The 2 legs of the driveway have a space between of about 30' or so, and I plow to the middle of that space from both sides, then plow the snow as far into the tree line farther up the drive as I can. When we get enough snow, the banks will be 3' high and 10' deep. Probably child's play compared to you, but if I don't plow that way at the start of the season, I'll have a problem later.
One of my nephews hasn't quite figured that out yet. :lol:
Of course, I started doing that this year after the first snow, you know, to get a good jump on all that snow we were supposed to get.......uh, 2 whole inches of it so far. Couple years ago, seems like I was plowing every other day.

Yeah I gotta say I'm a bit jealous.......we've had almost nothing but rain rain and more rain.....supposed to get another soaker this week.......I want some snow!!

bogydave said:

I just heard that they have called the National Guard in because of roofs collapsing, not sure which area it was in but they said people are trapped.

zap

zapny said:
bogydave said:

I just heard that they have called the National Guard in because of roofs collapsing, not sure which area it was in but they said people are trapped.

zap

I believe you're thinking of Cordova, Alaska.

We haven't even gotten enough to cover the grass yet. Really, not even enough to count as snow. Though I guess our little spot on the lake doesn't get it like the rest of the area, blows right on over us.

let the sunshine, let the sunshine in
not missing the snow at all this year

Sun Shine today, -9° this AM.
It was nice to get to + 14° & get some snow.
Forecast for + 25° on Tuesday. We'll see. I'm guessing that means more snow.

bogydave said:
Sun Shine today, -9° this AM.
It was nice to get to + 14° & get some snow.
Forecast for + 25° on Tuesday. We'll see. I'm guessing that means more snow.
sounds like fun dave. must be keeping warm with the bk.

Dave, good to know someone is getting winter. lol Seems I just read about Anchorage averaging about 75 inches of snow per year and already has 70 this winter. Maybe you'll have an early spring!

I am jelious I want snow not 75 inches but something at least! Maybe we midwestern folk are to picky and the big man gave up and dumped it on you Dave :lol: Your helpers are awesome buy the way good fun for them.

Pete

Not only does the selfish side of me want snow (to ski in) but the businesses of the central ADK's are going to lose boatloads of money this year. They are frantic. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.