Too much snow !!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Not only does the selfish side of me want snow (to ski in) but the businesses of the central ADK's are going to lose boatloads of money this year. They are frantic. :roll:
we were thinking of going to lake placid and i was just thinking i dont even want to go if theres no snow.

Nice pics Dave, supposed to be 47 here by Wednesday. I seen on CNN today they are trying to get fuel and supplies to nome but the ice breakers are having a hard time. It's definitely a different way of life up there. :)

After living in WV, PA, FL & OR
I'd chose Alaska again, maybe when I get old, I'll think about moving.
Fits my lifestyle pretty good, smaller population, fewer rule & regs, low taxes & great for an outdoorsman.
Still allot of alaska I haven't seen, got get busy.
But visiting So California or Hawaii a few weeks during the winter would be nice.

Up to 9°, few flakes but not really snowing (yet) :)

We've received the direct blessing of their misery so I am not going to gloat. Suffice it to say that this is one of the driest and mildest winters we've had in quite a while. That's ok as long as the snowpack is good. If not, could be trouble brewing for this summer.

Up to +14°, & getting windy.
To get to 40 MPH, & 25° tomorrow. 30% chance of snow.
We are on the down sloping side of this storm so not much new snow, just snow drifts.

I hear you BG,
Jet stream is helping most northern states be allot warmer & drier, not sure if it's La Niña or El Niño, maybe a hybrid :)

I am seeing early bud swelling and other signs of spring already. Hazelnut catkins are out in full bloom and pussywillows are showing off.

I didn't even bother to put my snowblower on the yard tractor this year after the "snow" we had last year. Well I had to tuck my tail between my legs and ask my neighbor to use their small walk behind unit... the one I laughed at last year... "Ah that think will NEVER work!" Ran it for close to 3 hours over the weekend doing mine and his driveway and the thing used maybe a quart of fuel! My tractor would have had it done in an hour probably but it was nice to do even the back patio and walkway with the walk behind.

Not looking forward to the winds at all. It blows the snow against the back of the house, which is fine, but also right across the driveway.

All this snow reminds me of growing up in northern Maine though. I remember a few snowfalls of 3-4ft over a day or two.

NATE379 said:
I didn't even bother to put my snowblower on the yard tractor this year after the "snow" we had last year. Well I had to tuck my tail between my legs and ask my neighbor to use their small walk behind unit... the one I laughed at last year... "Ah that think will NEVER work!" Ran it for close to 3 hours over the weekend doing mine and his driveway and the thing used maybe a quart of fuel! My tractor would have had it done in an hour probably but it was nice to do even the back patio and walkway with the walk behind.

Not looking forward to the winds at all. It blows the snow against the back of the house, which is fine, but also right across the driveway.

All this snow reminds me of growing up in northern Maine though. I remember a few snowfalls of 3-4ft over a day or two.

So that's the explanation . . . the snow followed you to Alaska.

Northwestern Maine and The Crown are pretty much the only places right now with enough snow for riding . . . and even then it's just barely enough snow.

bogydave said:
We are on the down sloping side of this storm so not much new snow, just snow drifts.

I hear you BG,
Jet stream is helping most northern states be allot warmer & drier, not sure if it's La Niña or El Niño, maybe a hybrid :)

Sounds like good scrounging weather Dave, let's see some pics when your done! :)

Might hit 50 here today, should take care of any snow patches I have left. Stoves are cold til cold weather comes back, just don't feel like burning wood, feels more like Spring.

Haha.

As a kid there was one year my Dad tells me and my brother to clear off the roof on his lean to shed, the shed was built off the back of the garage, maybe 15x20ft. It ended up taking almost a whole day and by the time we were done we were throughing the snow UP onto the pile cause it was higher than the roof, which was probably something around 10ft from the ground.

firefighterjake said:
Northwestern Maine and The Crown are pretty much the only places right now with enough snow for riding . . . and even then it's just barely enough snow.

wishlist said:
bogydave said:

I hear you BG,

Sounds like good scrounging weather Dave, let's see some pics when your done! :)

LOL :lol:
Takes allot more than 40 MPH to knock trees down here. I lost one when it hit 90 last winter
Scrounge with a snow machine & sled maybe.
Got up to 40° f today, roads getting real slick. Was out shoveling in a sweat shirt. Kinda nice.

Avalanches close the Seward highway today. Also the Whiter tunnel is closed. (south of Anchorage)
Still snowing in the Mts.
We have 25 MPH winds 40°f, now new snow yet. Some snow drifts & blowing snow.
To get cold again Friday, single digits.

Attachments

• 100_7092.jpg
    100_7092.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 97
It's nice that it warmed up though, very minimal drifting vs if it had stayed cold and the snow was ultra dry. I was worried that all the snow in my yard would be in my driveway... THAT has happened before!

Well and of course 25mph wind is just a breeze compared to the reg winter winds! I got home from work a bit ago and decided it was so nice that I bought the dog out on a run. Kind of funny cause just last week it was a chore on it's own to make it from the front door to the car with that -20* YUK we had!

Status
Not open for further replies.